The Prog Thread

Discuss non-Jazz genres here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

The Prog Thread

Postby Gentle Giant » September 17th, 2014, 9:02 am

Perhaps not much enthusiasm for such a thread, but for those of us who love our progressive rock (for me, it was a natural and easy "progression" for me to go from Yes to Return to Forever to Miles Davis, thus getting into jazz from prog's back door), there might be grounds for interesting discussion.

I'll begin. Last night I saw the latest incarnation of King Crimson. Sporting three drummers (only one of whom, Gavin Harrison, was really necessary); Mel Collins (Crimson ca. 1970-71) on soprano, alto, tenor, and bari sax, and flute; the ubiquitous and always extraordinary Tony Levin; Crimson tribute band player Jakko (gtr, vox), and, of course, Robert Fripp, the ensemble tackled an unusually broad swath of Crimson musical history, including material from In the Court of the Crimson King, In the Wake of Poseidon, Islands, a generous stroll through the Bruford-Wetton 73-74 era, taking a surprisingly complete pass at the Discipline era, and some latter-day tunes I wasn't as familiar with.

Highlights were Mel Collins taking over and improving on David Cross' violin parts on the 73-74 material, as well as his fierce blowing throughout; Levin making magic from an assortment of basses and the Chapman Stick; Fripp unleashing the full force of his prodigious technique; and Harrison's truly astounding drum solo.

I didn't really buy into the three-drummer thing (and one of the drummers, Pat Mastelotto, I really dislike) as it was more visually interesting than musically interesting, but as Fripp has always said, King Crimson is a way of doing things; and the thing that makes Crimson to me the greatest of all the prog outfits, is that it never does it the same twice.
BFrank
Founding Member

Re: The Prog Thread

Postby BFrank » September 17th, 2014, 11:20 am

A friend who lives in the Boston area saw that show and was blown away. I'm considering seeing them here in SF, but I would have to buy tix through StubHub and they're pretty pricey. Having said that, it sounds like a great show and definitely something worth seeing.

BTW, the 3rd drummer is Bill Riflin who took over from Bill Berry in REM.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ron Thorne » September 17th, 2014, 11:22 am

I always dug King Crimson, too! In fact, we played some tracks of theirs on KJZZ when I worked there, and they sounded just fine in that context when segued with the proper jazz cut. Tony Levin is a true "monster" on his instruments! Also Fripp, of course. I'm envious, GG.

I also enjoyed some of the recordings from Soft Machine a lot.

I hope this thread reveals others favorites from this genre.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » September 17th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Thanks for the write up, Jason

I'm a huge fan of the early Crimson up through and especially the 73-74 band. I even sprung for the 20 CD box Road to Red last December. I didn't go due to the three drummers but I wish I did based on your comments that they played a good amount of the material I love.

Do you know which tunes they played from In the Court through Red?

I am especially interested what they might have played from Islands of if they played sons of the more astonishing music from Larks Tounges in Aspic or Starless and Bible Black - like Exiles, Easy Money or The Great Deceiver.

And of course I'm wondering if they brought out either Fracture or the ultimate Crimson piece, Starless
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 17th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 17th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » September 17th, 2014, 1:11 pm

I also realize I could get tickets for 9/20 or 9/21 - only an hour away for me
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » September 17th, 2014, 1:17 pm

I won't spoil it for anyone as I would think the band will not vary that much but there are 3 or 4 huge surprises - compositions that have not been played for 40 years and and 2 or 3 that have never been played live. One being the great tune "One More Red Nightmare"

So I spoiled just a little.

If I do go, I would buy great tickets and it would be worth the $500 I would spend.

Maybe I do some selling to my wife tonight......
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 17th, 2014, 1:43 pm

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » September 17th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Boston Globe

Harrison is a monster, for sure. Deserves the lead drum 'chair' in that band.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » September 17th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Can't help but mention Jim Alfredson's latest project: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/theo

Prog rock outing for the "Organissimo guy". Friend of mine and perhaps of other folks here too.

It's a Kickstartr-like fund drive.

(That's about as hard-sell as I get. ;) )
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 18th, 2014, 9:15 am

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 18th, 2014, 9:26 am

For that matter, a friend of mine's band just released its debut album. He's the keyboardist and has played in Genesis and Yes cover bands, but his current group, Heliopolis, is by no means a clone of either. You can stream all five tracks in their entirety here for free:

Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » September 18th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 19th, 2014, 5:00 am

Mebobo

Postby Mebobo » September 24th, 2014, 11:09 am

I really messed up on this one! I had a chance to buy One of the last seats available but chose not to for the price. Will be playing in Seattle in just a few weeks and a buddy of mine is going to go so at least I'll be able to experience it somewhat vicariously through his report. Of the show.

I too am a huge fan of Gavin Harrison. I've had the pleasure of seeing him play with POr joins Tree twice. He was also featured on a week or so of drummers on Letterman show a year or two ago and that can be found on YouTube. He also recorded two CD's with a very interesting guy That goes by the name O5RIC and plays what appears to be a Stick guitar. Find them on YouTube as well. Finally, Gavin plays drums with a British funk fusion bass player by the name of Ed Poole that just kills! Of course he has a huge discography of other artists that he's played with but those are some standouts that I'm familiar with.

Cheers!
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » September 24th, 2014, 3:31 pm

I'm going.

I broke down and got a ticket for the Warfield here in SF. Not really THAT expensive after all, especially for what should be a VERY entertaining show.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 25th, 2014, 10:05 am

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 25th, 2014, 10:21 am

Meanwhile, a widely bootlegged Gentle Giant concert (originally an FM broadcast) from 1976 is being officially released by the band's own company, Alucard Music. I'll try to forgive the horrific cover art.

Gentle Giant is delighted to present its first ‘official’ live recording since 1976 “Playing the Fool Live”. Titled “Gentle Giant Live at the Bicentennial”, the recording was taken from a concert on July 3rd 1976 at the Calderone Theater, Hempstead, Long Island, which was broadcast for a local radio station.

There are no overdubs or other enhancements on this very live recording. It features Gentle Giant unedited, uninhibited and unrepentant.

The concert features the best-remembered music from past recordings as well as rare songs from the album “Interview” which the band was supporting at that time.

“Gentle Giant Live At The Bicentennial” 1976 is a 2-CD set release available everywhere from November 18th onwards on Alucard Music .
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 25th, 2014, 11:31 am

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 26th, 2014, 8:53 am

john williams
Founding Member

Postby john williams » October 12th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » October 28th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Contraband! An unauthorized video clip surfaces. Mel Collins (sax) and Gavin Harrison (right drums) excel.

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » June 26th, 2015, 10:44 am

Thirty minutes of live yumminess.

Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 17th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Exciting news: Steven Wilson remix of Gentle Giant's 1972 classic Octopus will be released in late October. Details in this EPK.

Return to “Other Music”