Beach Boys.

Discuss non-Jazz genres here.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Re: Beach Boys.

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Good, bad, or ugly... the Beach Boys are not in the same Universe of influence, or importance as the Beatles.

Seriously, when you have Count Basie and Sinatra covering you. Even taking into account Coltrane....just how many people would even know who Ravi Shankar was without the Beatles?

And that's just musically....Fiction, Films, TV and Pop culture in general....it's like the Beach Boys never even existed in comparison.
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 11th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I'm not talking about who influenced who. It's about what I like to listen to.

It's a Blue World
Bright moments
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 2:17 pm

- Duke Ellington
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Kumbaya....

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 11th, 2013, 6:31 pm

Blue Train wrote:Good, bad, or ugly... the Beach Boys are not in the same Universe of influence, or importance as the Beatles.

Seriously, when you have Count Basie and Sinatra covering you. Even taking into account Coltrane....just how many people would even know who Ravi Shankar was without the Beatles?

And that's just musically....Fiction, Films, TV and Pop culture in general....it's like the Beach Boys never even existed in comparison.

Your conclusion that the Beatles were a much greater influence on music than the Beach Boys is correct.

But you minimize Brian Wilson's influence. .

Among the important or major pop/rock/r&B artists who have covered Wilson/Beach Boys songs are , Alex Chilton, Wire, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aretha Franklin, Eddie Floyd, Ramones, Jeff Beck, David Bowie, M Ward, Todd Rundgren, Johnny Rivers, Carole King, They Might Be Giants, Earth, Wind and Fire. And, along with the Four Seasons, they were the first BIG American Rock GROUP that played their own instruments.(Arguments can be made for Elvis's band and the Buddy Holly and the Crickets, but neither was really a group.)

Even among jazz musicians , Brian Wilson's work is often covered, including recordings by artists as diverse as the Brad Mehldau, Stan Kenton, Charles Lloyd, the Yellowjackets, Charlie Hunter, John Pizzarelli, Astrud Gilberto, Dave Kikoski, Luciana Souza, and Seamus Blake.

That's hardly "not existing" regardless of who the resume is compared to.

I also note that the Beatles were inspired by Pet Sounds to create Sergeant Pepper. That's pretty influential right there, IMO. Similarly many all-time heavyweights in the musical world, including Leonard Bernstein (who famously compared Wilson to Beethoven) and Paul McCartney are on record that Brian Wilson was the among the most brilliant composers.

And as far as non-musical influence, they probably influenced the visibility of surfing more than any other artist influenced the perception of any other sport or recreational activity. Similarly, I can't think of a single recording artist who did more to increase the visibility of any location and lifestyle than what the Beach Boys did for the California beach lifestyle.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 6:58 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:/quote]

Your conclusion that the Beatles were a much greater influence on music than the Beach Boys is correct. But you minimize Brian Wilson's influence. .Among the important or major pop/rock/r&B artists who have covered Wilson/Beach Boys songs are , Alex Chilton, Wire, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aretha Franklin, Eddie Floyd, Ramones, Jeff Beck, David Bowie, M Ward, Todd Rundgren, Johnny Rivers, Carole King, They Might Be Giants, Earth, Wind and Fire. And, along with the Four Seasons, they were the first BIG American Rock GROUP that played their own instruments.(Arguments can be made for Elvis's band and the Buddy Holly and the Crickets, but neither was really a group.)

Never said a single thing about Brian Wilson. Not a single one of the rest would be known without him. You actually prove me point about Basie and Sinatra with that list.

Even among jazz musicians , Brian Wilson's work is often covered, including recordings by artists as diverse as the Brad Mehldau, Stan Kenton, Charles Lloyd, the Yellowjackets, Charlie Hunter, John Pizzarelli, Astrud Gilberto, Dave Kikoski, Luciana Souza, and Seamus Blake.

Coma! Yet, once again probing my point.

I also note that the Beatles were inspired by Pet Sounds to create Sergeant Pepper. That's pretty influential right there, IMO. Similarly many all-time heavyweights in the musical world, including Leonard Bernstein (who famously compared Wilson to Beethoven) and Paul McCartney are on record that Brian Wilson was the among the most brilliant composers.

Comparing Wilson to Beethoven? lol! No benjamins involved in that. Once again this isn't about Wilson.

Yes, inspried to the point

And as far as non-musical influence, they probably influenced the visibility of surfing more than any other artist influenced the perception of any other sport or recreational activity.

As someone who actually surfs. No. They're considered a joke since only Dennis actually surfed.

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm

What you and your fellow latter day surfers feel about the Beach Boys being "jokes" as surfers is about as relevant to their influence in their time - musical and otherwise - as what girls who wear bobbie sox today think of Frank Sinatra.

I can't even imagine a less compelling or thoughtful response to my post than what you came up with. Jesus.

But I am really impressed that you actually surf.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 7:04 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:
Blue Train wrote:[

As someone who actually surfs. No.

As someone who actually writes comprehensible English, Huh?

You know exactly what I meant. As in, no one that actually surfed/surfs took/take that seriously.

- Duke Ellington
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 7:09 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:What you and your fellow latter day surfers feel about the Beach Boys being "jokes" as surfers is about as relevant to their influence in their time - musical and otherwise - as what girls who wear bobbie sox today think of Frank Sinatra.

I can't even imagine a less compelling or thoughtful response to my post than what you came up with. Jesus.

But I am really impressed that you actually surf.

You prove why there should be an edit timeline. Just how many times have you changed this post?

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 11th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Yes I keep editing my posts. I confess. It's just like you to lead with an irrelevancy.Grow up, surfer dude.

But I keep editing because I am not done being being blown away by the endless variety of ways your response to my detailed comment about the Beach Boys influence and the artists who covered their music was unresponsive and absurd. And I figure that just by sounding coherent and literate, I score big points in this particular contest.

I'm sure you, as a surfer, know all about what today's surfers feel of the Beach Boys' influence 45+ years ago, not to mention which ones surfed, and whether they were jokes. I'm sure you spend SO MUCH TIME with fellow surfers and that this is what you discuss with all of your fellow surfers when you do.

The very thought that you contend that being a surfer gives you any insight at all into the Beach Boys' music or influence is mind boggling. You can be so full of shit, sometimes.

And I'll repeat, even assuming (ok, it's a stretch, but let's play pretend) you do know what today's surfers think about the Beach Boys influence 45 years ago, it is about as relevant as what today's bobby socks wearing girls think about Frank Sinatra's musical influence.

You're in way over your head. If your fellow surfers think the Beach Boys are a joke, my fellow posters (and I know them better than you know surfers) think your posts in this exchange are a bad joke. Sometimes it's better to say "I was wrong" than to dig yourself deeper in your own bullshit.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 7:25 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Yes I keep editing my posts. Because I keep being blown away by the endless variety of ways your response to me was unresponsive and absurd. And I figure that just by sounding coherent and literate, I score big points in this particular contest.

I'm sure you, as a surfer, know all about what today's surfers feel of the Beach Boys- influence 40 years ago, not to mention which ones surfed, and whether they were jokes. I'm sure you spend SO MUCH TIME with fellow surfers and that this is what you discuss with all of your fellow surfers when you do.

The very thought that since you surf it gives you any insight at all into the Beach Boys is mind boggling. You can be so full of shit, sometimes.

And I'll repeat, even assuming you do know what today's surfers think about the Beach Boys influence 40 years ago, it is about as relevant as what today's bobby socks wearing girls think about Frank Sinatra's musical influence.

Just which of us is the immature one? I posted my opinion....you don't agree, that's fine, but why turn it into a personal battle royale? Just which of us turned this personal?

P.S. Just how many times did you edit that post?

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 11th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Since you dug yourself in your own bullshit about the Beach Boys, nothing you ask, nothing you say is relevant, thoughtful or mature in any way. The fact that you fail to see this only highlights that point.

You had no relevant or intelligent responses about the Beach Boys' influence, so you change the discourse into being about how many edits I make to my posts and alleging that being a latter day surfer gives you the intellectual authority to simply dismiss a well thought out argument with the waive of your puny dick.

I'm done wasting my time on this. Please go away. You're singlehandedly lowering the level of conversation on this board. I haven't read a single more mindless and moronic line of conversation since it's started. And when you grow up and reread this, hopefully you'll see it too.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 7:34 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Since you dug yourself in your own bullshit about the Beach Boys, nothing you ask, nothing you say is relevant, thoughtful or mature in any way. The fact that you fail to see this only highlights that point.

I'm done wasting my time on this. Please go away. You're singlehandedly lowering the level of conversation.

Quoting the mature one's post. Who knows how many times he would change it.

- Duke Ellington
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:
steve(thelil) wrote:You're in way over your head.

Gotta side with Steve on this one.

Like any of us, you sometimes post well beyond your knowledge. As is the case here.

You once schooled me on those controlling drones. I was well beyond my depth, even though I prided myself on the subject.

Listen up, and learn. It's a pretty good standard for all of us to live up to.

Did I insult you in the process?

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 11th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Hey BT. Since what's relevant is the extent to which I edit, I'm repeating an earlier post that I've since edited. You're welcome! Here it is:

Since you've dug yourself deeper and deeper in your own bullshit about the Beach Boys, nothing you've asked, nothing you've said is relevant, thoughtful or mature in any way. The fact that you fail to see this only highlights that point.

You had no relevant or intelligent responses about the Beach Boys' influence, so you attempt to change the discourse into being about 1) how many edits I make to my posts and 2) alleging that being a latter day surfer gives you the intellectual authority to simply dismiss a well thought out argument with the waive of your puny dick.

I'm done wasting my time on this. Please go away. You're singlehandedly lowering the level of conversation on this board. I haven't read a single more mindless and moronic line of conversation since it's started. And when you grow up and reread this, hopefully you'll see it too.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » August 11th, 2013, 7:48 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:Hey BT. Since what's relevant is the extent to which I edit, I'm repeating an earlier post that I've since edited. You're welcome! Here it is:

Since you've dug yourself deeper and deeper in your own bullshit about the Beach Boys, nothing you've asked, nothing you've said is relevant, thoughtful or mature in any way. The fact that you fail to see this only highlights that point.

You had no relevant or intelligent responses about the Beach Boys' influence, so you attempt to change the discourse into being about 1) how many edits I make to my posts and 2) alleging that being a latter day surfer gives you the intellectual authority to simply dismiss a well thought out argument with the waive of your puny dick.

Someone remind me once again which one of us is the "mature" one?

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 11th, 2013, 7:55 pm

PS. Scott is right that my venom level seems weird in view of the fact that this is the only thread since this board started in which I've noticed that BT's posts didn't reflect the minimal acceptable level of rationality, coherence or stability required in a conversation among the smart people who post here.

But as Scott insightfully points out, BT does often seem to speak from an absurdly self-aggrandized perspective of his own authority for a guy his young age (and much lower writing skill level). But, as you point out, despite that, he does contribute a good amount of information and puts a lot of effort into providing info people here seek. For that reason, we're hesitant to really attack when he proclaims that some restaurant has "the best New Haven pizza outside of New Haven" or some equally absurd and inappropriately masturbatory bloviation.

People generally don't want to call him on it every time he's full of shit or plays the know-it-all- card. That is until he finally, as here, makes absurdly strong statements on subjects where his expertise is not so great, and then gets defensive, childish, wildly irrelevant and bizarrely irrational when called on it.

IMO, that's what happened here, and it set me off. I may have overreacted, but as Scott recognized, it was also a reaction to all of the know-it-all-stuff that I know many of us find annoying. BT seems oblivious to it, of course.

PS, TO BT. You proved I'm the immature one. But I can get mature and you'll always be a doody!!!!

Really, don't you realize when you say things like "Who's the immature one?" or "How many edits?" you might as well just say "I'm in over my head but not even evolved enough to admit it - even when everyone else sees it?!?"
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » August 12th, 2013, 3:27 am

I haven't been on the board the last day or two as I've been enjoying my new girlfriend, which means that not even a complete and utter douchebag such as Blue Train can bring me down. Though friended and then unfriended on Facebook, we now share the same sandbox here. So be it. But that doesn't mean I have to respond to him directly. Suffice to say, we will not agree on much that is important to me. He is of the category of poster who loves the smell of his own farts, but to me it's just :poo:
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » August 12th, 2013, 5:16 am

Jazzcorner lives!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 12th, 2013, 7:42 am

uli wrote:Jazzcorner lives!

I meant to post the following, but accidentally sent it by PM to Uli. BUT I ADMIT, I'VE EDITED IT SINCE!!! TWICE!!!

"Are you saying that we NEED more threads in which some guy is reamed for playing the goody card by failing to retreat from a losing argument when everyone else sees that he's just making himself look more clueless and emotionally unstable with every post?"
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » August 12th, 2013, 9:33 am

steve(thelil) wrote:
Blue Train wrote:Good, bad, or ugly... the Beach Boys are not in the same Universe of influence, or importance as the Beatles.

Your conclusion that the Beatles were a much greater influence on music than the Beach Boys is correct.

But you minimize Brian Wilson's influence. .

Among the important or major pop/rock/r&B artists who have covered Wilson/Beach Boys songs are , Alex Chilton, Wire, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aretha Franklin, Eddie Floyd, Ramones, Jeff Beck, David Bowie, M Ward, Todd Rundgren, Johnny Rivers, Carole King, They Might Be Giants, Earth, Wind and Fire. And, along with the Four Seasons, they were the first BIG American Rock GROUP that played their own instruments.(Arguments can be made for Elvis's band and the Buddy Holly and the Crickets, but neither was really a group.)

And as far as non-musical influence, they probably influenced the visibility of surfing more than any other artist influenced the perception of any other sport or recreational activity. Similarly, I can't think of a single recording artist who did more to increase the visibility of any location and lifestyle than what the Beach Boys did for the California beach lifestyle.

Excellent post, BTW. Couldn't have improved on it.

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 12th, 2013, 10:05 am

And then there's the Mills Bros.
Bright moments
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 12th, 2013, 1:12 pm

moldyfigg wrote:And then there's the Mills Bros.

I only remember Hayley and Wilbur Mills. Who was the third Mills Brother??

:lol:
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 12th, 2013, 1:50 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:
moldyfigg wrote:And then there's the Mills Bros.

I only remember Hayley and Wilbur Mills. Who was the third Mills Brother??

:lol:

Larry
Bright moments
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 12th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Was he a General?

Return to “Other Music”