Steely Dan

Discuss non-Jazz genres here.
cookie
Founding Member

Steely Dan

Postby cookie » July 10th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Steely Dan deserves their own thread, IMO.

Going to hear 'em 7/20

SD is my favorite band. I like to say they're "better than jazz" (makes the figs sputter).

Any Major Dude will tell you.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Re: Steely Dan

Postby Gentle Giant » July 11th, 2013, 4:20 am

cookie wrote:Steely Dan deserves their own thread, IMO.

Going to hear 'em 7/20

SD is my favorite band. I like to say they're "better than jazz" (makes the figs sputter).

Any Major Dude will tell you.

What kind of show is that? I think they're still playing some albums whole on certain dates.
Blue Train
Founding Member

Postby Blue Train » July 11th, 2013, 8:49 am

Saw them in 2011. They performed Aja.

This year's tour.

http://www.steelydan.com/#dates
"There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

- Duke Ellington
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 11th, 2013, 9:02 am

I saw them on their 2nd tour after a LONG hiatus. Their musicianship was top notch, but I was a little disappointed because they played each song from the studio albums note for note, including solos. It seemed to detract from the energy you hope for in a live performance.
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » July 11th, 2013, 11:05 am

steve(thelil) wrote:I saw them on their 2nd tour after a LONG hiatus. Their musicianship was top notch, but I was a little disappointed because they played each song from the studio albums note for note, including solos. It seemed to detract from the energy you hope for in a live performance.

Can't remember the exact time I saw them, but the description above is what I feared the show to be at the time, and we got the top notch musicianship along with just the right amount of surprises among a good selection of tunes and real original solos (especially from a young inspired and talented guitar player I'll try to google the name).

EDIT: must have been 2000, right after the release of Two Against Nature, and Jon Herington was the guy.
I remember the horns and vocalists were astonishing too.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 11th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Saw them do "Royal Scam" in Chicago a few years ago with Larry Carlton guesting.
VERY enthusiastic crowd!
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » July 17th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I posted on this thread yesterday and today.....it's gone. I must've fked up somehow so I'll try again, you'd think Ida figured this out by now!;)

Have any of you chk'd out the new debut record by longtime Dan guitarist; Drew Zingg? It's pretty good. I've been listening to him for awhile (all Dan fans have!), but never realized how influenced he is by another gtr favorite of mine, Buzz Feiten.

Here's a link to the opening number; 'Megashine City' written by Fagen & Becker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... d50bjmVW2E

Here's another featuring Michael McDonald (I wrote him off a long time ago, but this might be his best recorded vocal....ever!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cqOVwyh ... detailpage
harmony5219
Founding Member

Postby harmony5219 » July 17th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Saw Steely Dan two years ago at the Beacon Theater in NYC. Larry Carlton was with them as they did the entire "Royal Scam" album. Carlton was terrific. Guitarist Drew Zingg is currently touring as a member of Boz Scaggs' band. Caught them in concert recently, very good show.

Return to “Other Music”