Billy Eckstine

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Billy Eckstine

Postby Tom Storer » April 2nd, 2015, 11:12 am

I've recently been discovering the great baritone crooner of the 1940's and beyond, Billy Eckstine. Eckstine was famous for having the first big band studded with bebop stars (although Earl Hines gives competition for that claim).

I got a cheapo compilation of 4 CDs covering 7 original LPs, all from 1957 to 1961, wonderful stuff. Now I've ordered a 2-CD set of his 40's big band material, and I'm listening to some of that early stuff on Spotify. Sounds magnificent.

So... who else loves Billy Eckstine? Any recommendations for further purchases?
Praise Cheeses!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Billy Eckstine

Postby Ron Thorne » April 2nd, 2015, 3:15 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » April 4th, 2015, 5:14 pm

I've got all of his 40s recordings. That was about as far as I went with him. Great bands. Dex, Jug, Wardell, Diz, Fats, Kenny D. MGM-era singing didn't do much for me. And I missed his trumpet/trombone work, which was gone by then.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » April 23rd, 2015, 7:34 am

I don't have nearly as many of B's recordings as I'd like. He really had an extraordinary voice.

I was lucky to get to sit in with him in Chicago in the early 80's -- a neat memory.
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “Jazztalk Central”