Piano/vibes or piano/guitar quartets

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Piano/vibes or piano/guitar quartets

Postby Tom Storer » February 9th, 2015, 2:20 am

I've been listening to a couple of very nice recordings: "Intents and Purposes" by the Rez Abbasi Acoustic Quartet, and "No Way Out" by Giovanni Mirabassi.

"Intents and Purposes" features "acoustic interpretations of jazz-rock classics": familiar tunes by Weather Report, Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters, Chick Corea's Return to Forever, etc. It has Rez Abbasi, acoustic guitars; Bill Ware, vibes; Stephan Crump, bass; and Eric McPherson, drums. Sounds great!

Giovanni Mirabassi is an Italian pianist who lives in Paris. "No Way Out" has his regular trio, with Gianluca Renzi on bass and Lukmil Perez Herrera on drums, plus Stefon Harris on vibes. Here's the trio:

Solid, mainstream, swinging jazz piano, nothing revolutionary but I really like his fleet, sparkling lines.

In both of these records I am really enjoying the combination of vibes with the lead instrument. I think Joe Locke and Steve Nelson have done vibes/piano quartet albums. And so, a request: what other quartets-with-vibes do you recommend? Historic, contemporary, whatever. Have at it.
Praise Cheeses!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: Piano/vibes or piano/guitar quartets

Postby moldyfigg » February 9th, 2015, 11:09 am

Oscar Peterson trio with Milt Jackson is as good as it gets.
Bright moments
hornplayer
Founding Member

Re: Piano/vibes or piano/guitar quartets

Postby hornplayer » February 11th, 2015, 7:54 am

Are you talking piano trios with guitar or vibes as an add? Or what about guitarist or vibist as leader? yes/No?
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “Jazztalk Central”