Is Chick Corea Miles Davis' greatest alumnus?

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chazro
Founding Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is Chick Corea Miles Davis' greatest alumnus?

Postby Chazro » February 8th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Just saw that Chick just won 2 more Grammy awards today (for 2 separate recordings!) and the thought occurred to me, he's got to be the most successful (I know this doesn't automatically translate into 'greatest') pianist Miles ever employed. As I thought about it some more, I'm thinking, forget pianist, how about the greatest musician to graduate from the Miles Davis Academy? Of course, when you think about the amazingly historic roster that's gone to that particular learning institution, it's difficult, if not impossible to single out just one. Kelly, Evans, Hancock, Jarrett, Zawinul....whew, quite a few heavyweights but....I know this much; I own so much music by so many of the MD alumni and Chick's MY personal favorite. I like to think of myself as the same type of music lover that Corea is as a musician. An older cat that still likes to play, often in places other people think I should've outgrown;). He's adventurous, brilliant, fearless, and shows his heart in whatever he does.

Congrats to Chick Corea! Certainly one of the 'greatest', definitely the most successful of all of Miles' children!!
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Re: Is Chick Corea Miles Davis' greatest alumnus?

Postby stonemonkts » February 8th, 2015, 8:59 pm

I'd choose John Coltrane over Corea, but that's just me.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 9th, 2015, 11:00 am

They all came from Pops and Bird.
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » February 9th, 2015, 11:24 am

Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » February 9th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Well, "greatest," who knows... Corea is certainly a great, great player. The trio album with Christian McBride and Brian Blade that won a Grammy is wonderful.

So many of the major players of the 50's and 60's came through Miles. Red Garland, Wynton Kelly, Bill Evans, Hancock, Corea, Jarrett, Zawinul... Percy Heath, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Dave Holland... Philly Joe Jones, Jimmy Cobb, Tony Williams, Al Foster... Coltrane, Cannonball, George Coleman, Shorter... and that barely gets us to 1970. Gary Bartz, Steve Grossman, Dave Liebman, Sonny Fortune, Michael Henderson, John McLaughlin, Pete Cosey...
Praise Cheeses!
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » February 9th, 2015, 1:53 pm

I just read that Corea's one of the top 5 most nominated (61!) artists in Grammy history!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » February 9th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Corea is a fine player but Bill Evans influenced a helluva lot more players than Chick.

Miles wasn't even Bird's greatest alumnus.
Bright moments
jwaggs
Founding Member

Postby jwaggs » February 9th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Yea, but Miles was Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis's greatest alum.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » February 9th, 2015, 10:27 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » February 12th, 2015, 10:20 am

It certainly is primarily a tribute to Miles' taste - and not just taste, but insistence on getting the very best players who were capable of pushing forward on their instruments and with the form itself. I don't think he ever concerned himself with the idea that any of his sidemen might be considered the more impressive musician.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”