Favorite Jazz Group Configuration

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Favorite Jazz Group Configuration

Postby Ron Thorne » November 22nd, 2014, 4:34 pm

While most of us have enjoyed listening to many different formats/sizes of jazz "groups" over the years, from solo to large ensembles, here is a hypothetical question to ponder. If you only had one size "group" available to listen to, which would it be? What instrumentation? Why?

For me, I would hate to have to boil it down to one size for a variety of reasons, but if push came to shove, I'd probably choose an acoustic piano trio, with bassist and drummer. It's somewhat sparse, yet complete at the same time. As a musician, you're really challenged and kept on your toes playing in that setting, but the rewards are often great.

I realize that this is a rather simplistic question, but thought it might be fun to discuss which configurations appeal to us most and why.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
BeBop
Founding Member

Re: Favorite Jazz Group Configuration

Postby BeBop » November 23rd, 2014, 1:02 pm

Duos. I just thrive on hearing the interplay. I spent most of my formative years (which extend to present day ;-) ) playing duos, so there's also a comparison and learning thing going on.

Specifically, I'll take tenor sax and bass as an ideal combination. Check out Archie Shepp's "Looking at Bird" with NHOP or the duo album with Richard Davis. But tenor/alto and drums or piano is fine too (Fred Anderson+Hamid Drake, Trane+Rashied Ali). Soprano just ends up in duet setting so often, the format is a little more "stale" for me.
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » November 23rd, 2014, 3:32 pm

I'm sort of a hard bop quintet traditionalist: Tenor sax, Trumpet, Piano, Bass, Drums. :smug:
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » November 24th, 2014, 8:36 am

I'm torn between trio and duo. In either case it should involve a tenor saxophone, the other instruments to be switched according to mood.

I tend to be drawn more to minimalistic types of scenarios when it comes to music and that extends beyond jazz.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » November 24th, 2014, 10:07 am

Art Blakey and four or five other players.
Bright moments
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » November 25th, 2014, 3:56 am

That's a great question, Ron.

I like a lot of counterpoint, myself--or to put it less stodgily, a lot of business. So an alto or soprano and tenor are good. I want percussion, but it need not always be restricted to traps--nice having mallet instruments around too. Keyboards are nice but the damper pedal should be used sparingly or removed to avoid muddiness. Cello is nice here--sometimes substituting for bass, sometimes acting like a violin might. Or violin and bass. And...guitar maybe? harp? electronics? So, what have I got?--

Tim Berne
Evan Parker
Herb Robertson
Kevin Norton
Zeena Parkins
Marc Ducret

Or put Mat Maneri and Mark Dresser (or Joelle Leandre?) in there instead of Robertson?

Oh, shit. I give up: I don't know.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » December 3rd, 2014, 8:06 pm

I'm enjoying the responses to this thread question.

My first exposure to jazz (other than big band on the radio) was in the form of a sextet ... Miles' Kind of Blue. It was also my first live jazz experience (Miles' sextet), although there was also a solo and trio performance on that same date.

As a drummer, it's difficult for me to hear a drummer-less group, but there have been a few who have pierced that void for me.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » December 5th, 2014, 9:49 am

I love trios because it seems to demand the most listening and communication among the members in order for it not to devolve into just a soloist-with-rhythm-section thing, but rather a true three-way conversation.

That said, I also like to hear a range of voices, even if it's just one other instrument. Some of my favorite music has been in quartet or quintet configurations, but again, a great trio is a thing of beauty.
peterdubya
Founding Member

Postby peterdubya » December 5th, 2014, 4:17 pm

For me it's the piano trio.
unless I'm feeling more up beat, then it's the organ trio with guitar and drums.
unless I'm more in the mood for Tenor, Trumpet, Piano, Bass, and drums.
BUT I love a swinging big band,
occasionally Accordion, Cymbalom, and trumpet catch my fancy.
But my favorite is the Tenor, Piano, Bass and Drums.
Unless I feel more like solo piano.

Don't even get me started on Guitar, piano, bass and drums.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”