Marquis Hill

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Marquis Hill

Postby Tom Storer » November 16th, 2014, 1:28 pm

This trumpeter just won the 2014 Thelonious Monk competition. The band and its music demonstrate that the much-decried "Young Lions" thing in the 1980's was not a passing trend. This could have been played at any time in the past 60 years. So, exasperatingly old-fashioned or reassuringly timeless? I'll go for the latter. Nothing spectacular, nothing new, but I know I would have had a great time if I'd been the club that night.

Praise Cheeses!
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: Marquis Hill

Postby bluenoter » November 16th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » November 16th, 2014, 5:04 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » November 29th, 2014, 6:09 am

I also vote for reassuringly timeless.

With the exception of the vibes player who is a bit younger than the rest I have personally known all of these cats for 15 or more years coming thru the jam sessions at the velvet. I have probably heard them hundred of times, interacted with them talked to them checked there ids etc. Some of them I consider friends Marquis Hill may have been 15 or 16 when I first met him. Most of them I've also heard playing well in what could be considered freer contexts. They are by no means unaware of jazz history. This is what they want to play. It's their music without much of the dogmatic overhang that dominated jazz discussions.

It's a great pleasure for me to see them achieving some success.

I've lost contact with the scene a bit but there is a whole new generation coming up doing the same.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”