Putting together a jazz history presentation...

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Putting together a jazz history presentation...

Postby Tom Storer » September 10th, 2014, 4:59 am

Hello, everyone. It's been a long time since I checked in... :oops:

But here I am to solicit your feedback for a presentation I'm preparing.

The context: my company (something like 1400 employees) has a "Cultural Association", partially funded by management, organized by employees. Last year they organized a series of presentations by a classical musician and educator on the history of classical music. About twenty people showed up to the six or seven 90-minute presentations that this guy put together himself. They took place in a biggish meeting room, with people seated around a table. He projected images and documents from his laptop and played MP3 excerpts that he had prepared. It was a pretty good success.

We decided to do the same next year for jazz. We considered finding a professional to do this, but in the end I decided I could do a better job myself--not that I'm any more knowledgeable or insightful than the pros (jazz educators and journalists), but I know the audience better and will be able to be more flexible. Also, I'll do it for free. :D

One thing I'm trying to address is the mixed audience. I'm expecting a significant percentage of people with very slight knowledge of jazz. Pianists and singers are usually the biggest draws for concerts and media coverage, I find, so I put in a couple of sessions to cover them specifically in depth.

Another thing is that I'm not a musician. The guy who did the classical music sessions was a pro, and he often showed the scores and had us follow along. This was good for those in the audience who could read music; among the others, I heard comments like "damn, you have to have a degree in solfège to follow this." So I'm thinking my layman's viewpoint will be as much an advantage as a hindrance; but I might have to bring in someone to explain certain technical issues (kept to a minimum) with confidence.

I've put together a first draft and will be working with another person to fine-tune it. But the more input, the better!

To start with, here is the top-level outline I dreamed up:

Session 0: Overview
Session 1: Roots, jazz through the 20's
Session 2: Swing: big bands and small
Session 3: Early pianists and singers
Session 4: Bebop, cool, hard bop
Session 5: Mid-century pianists and singers
Session 6: The avant-gardes
Session 7: Jazz today

In my notes for the Overview session, I wrote:

Discuss elements and issues of jazz in accessible way:
o Musical: Swing, blues, improvisation, collective improvisation, role of popular song, evolution from simple melodic variation through harmonic development to abstraction, from shared practice to increasing atomization … Other?
o Sociological/cultural: local to global, authenticity vs. innovation, cultural diffusion and competition, … other? to be worked out.
o Find ways to touch on certain of these themes in all the sessions, to show both continuity and change

To start, I'd be grateful for constructive feedback concerning the overall session plan and session 1, detailed below. If the thread goes anywhere, I'll continue with the other sessions. Thanks in advance!

Session 1:

Session 1: Roots => 20's

- Roots of jazz (African elements; Creole formal training in European music + plantation rural practices migrating to cities; role of military bands; ragtime; blues; minstrelsy; James Reese Europe, Vernon Castle)
    - New Orleans & Chicago (pre-recording-era early models, e.g. Buddy Bolden; brass bands; King Oliver; Louis Armstrong; beginnings of crossover to white musicians; recording craze)
    - 1920's (territory bands; Sidney Bechet; Jelly Roll Morton; Fletcher Henderson; Ellington; Moten/Basie)

(I'm also going to start putting together a list of YouTube links to illustrate these... again, suggestions welcome!)
Praise Cheeses!
hornplayer
Founding Member

Re: Putting together a jazz history presentation...

Postby hornplayer » September 10th, 2014, 6:53 am

Looks good, Tom. Don't forget Eubie Blake both as composer and performer.
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 10th, 2014, 8:39 am

I don't know. There are too many worthy individuals to include them all...
Praise Cheeses!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » September 10th, 2014, 8:50 am

Tom,

That's quite an undertaking. I'm sure those here could recommend recording of the major players of each era.

You mentioned singers and it may be a good method to let the audience hear samples, of Satch, Bessie Smith, Jimmy Rushing, Billie Holiday, Connie Boswell, June Christy, Anita O'Day, Ella, Sass, LH&R and so forth.
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 10th, 2014, 5:12 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to see your new thread today, Tom. Welcome back!

I am far from being a jazz scholar, so my input will be largely based upon what I've gleaned from experiences, as a student of music and a musician. I'm also one who enjoys "the hunt", so appreciate digging for new facts, anecdotes, and bits of "historical goodies".

At first glance, your outline looks both ambitious and interesting, though I think it might be helpful (where possible) to show the era for each sub-category.

For starters, the following site may prove useful for you. It's part of the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz, and targets American public schools for this historical look at jazz. The various grade levels shown may also work in your favor since you're presenting to many persons who have limited or no prior knowledge of jazz. Their timeline is quite well-developed and may yield some good ideas for you.

Click the link below.

Jazz in America Timeline
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 11th, 2014, 4:05 am

Thanks, Ron! I'll have a look.
Praise Cheeses!
wdavis

Postby wdavis » September 21st, 2014, 9:47 pm

Must be old fart homesickness week ...

Noble effort Tom.

One question to ask yourself is whether you want your audience to walk away with some knowledge of the history of jazz or with a toolkit to unlock the jazz of today. Ideally both of course but I think a limitation of the chronological approach is that early jazz, swing, etc. aren't easy to find these days.

If nothing else, it might be useful to start each session with a modern piece exhibiting those influences then show where it came from ... or at the end of each session, play maybe both a contemporary example of that style and a contemporary example of something that incorporates elements of that style but also new stuff.

It also depends a bit on who you think your audience will be. Certainly many new jazz fans are attracted through a desire for "sophistication" and that's where the piano/vocal, mid-tempo ballad, Kind of Blue, jazz Beatles vein is successful. Others come to it through a desire for something "different" from their usual musical outlets. Somebody like the Bad Plus can be a good compromise. I suppose some come to it looking for something retro and maybe swing, etc. is the way to reach them.

You might have some trouble finding good video content though ... depending on your company's feelings about youtube, copyright, etc. :-)

But this is pretty cool -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhv8iOY ... F21E6C1D51
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » September 22nd, 2014, 8:27 am

I like wdavis' suggestions a lot.

I have to say that I've seen enough presentations about the birth of jazz to last me, unless there is some startling new info. As with Ken Burns' work, 'modern' jazz (I guess from 63 on?) always seems to get short shrift.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 22nd, 2014, 8:28 am

wdavis wrote:Must be old fart homesickness week ...

Walt, is that you? Welcome to JT!

(And yes, Tom, welcome back!)

wdavis

Postby wdavis » September 22nd, 2014, 10:47 pm

could be ...

don't know how much I'll be around but, y'know, it was a slow afternoon at work.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”