Kind of Blue Is 55!

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Kind of Blue Is 55!

Postby Ron Thorne » August 20th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Kind of Blue was recorded on March 2nd and April 22nd at Columbia Records in NYC, and released on August 17, 1959. It has appeared in every format of recorded music known to man, and is the best-selling jazz recording of all time.

To some, KOB is a hot button topic, almost as likely to cause serious debate and teeth-gnashing as a conversation involving Wynton Marsalis or Kenny G. ;)

This album was the very first jazz album I ever heard start-to-finish, and is responsible for my lifelong love of jazz. I heard it within a few months of its release, thanks to my high school buddy, Mike. Thanks, Mike, wherever you are!

Jazz Profiles from NPR

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Re: Kind of Blue Is 55!

Postby Gentle Giant » August 20th, 2014, 6:15 pm

I'm a fan. I say, if you don't like it, make an album that's better!
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 20th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:To some, KOB is a hot button topic, almost as likely to cause serious debate and teeth-gnashing as a conversation involving Wynton Marsalis or Kenny G. ;)

I had no idea. Who are those tacky people, and what do they gnash their teeth about?
Image           Image     
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 21st, 2014, 9:41 am

Coincidentally (?), Dave Holland posted on FB that Bitches Brew was recorded today 45 years ago! What are the odds of TWO historic recordings sharing the same birthday, 10 years apart, by the same artist!?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 21st, 2014, 10:08 am

Chazro wrote:Coincidentally (?), Dave Holland posted on FB that Bitches Brew was recorded today 45 years ago! What are the odds of TWO historic recordings sharing the same birthday, 10 years apart, by the same artist!?

Not exactly . . .

Ron Thorne wrote:Kind of Blue was recorded on March 2nd and April 22nd at Columbia Records in NYC, and released on August 17, 1959.

Image           Image     

Return to “Jazztalk Central”