Has Anyone Congratulated Our Peterdubya?

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Has Anyone Congratulated Our Peterdubya?

Postby Jazzooo » July 18th, 2014, 10:27 am

Signed on as the artistic director for whatever Yoshi's in SF is about to become. Sad to see the club change, but hopeful about the future?
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Has Anyone Congratulated Our Peterdubya?

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 18th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Jazzooo wrote:Signed on as the artistic director for whatever Yoshi's in SF is about to become. Sad to see the club change, but hopeful about the future?

Have seen the news....congrats on the 'homecoming' Peter!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 18th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Not until now for me, because I wasn't hip to the news.

Congratulations, Peter!
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 21st, 2014, 11:07 am

Not THAT sad about Yoshi's SF, actually. It never really seemed to hit its stride, and hasn't been a 'jazz venue' for a while. I would think that Peter would have mixed programming as well.

Congrats to Peterdubya, for sure!
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » July 21st, 2014, 2:41 pm

Congrats to pdubya but wait, I thought I read recently that not only was Yoshi's completely changing its cuisine/menu but that it was also not going to feature music anymore!? I must be mistaken, congrats Pete!!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 21st, 2014, 4:19 pm

A new era begins at Yoshi’s

Photograph of opening night at Yoshi’s on November 27, 2007, by Mina Pahlevan

By Chris Barnett

AFTER A DIZZYING seven year roller-coaster ride — from its opening as the hot new jazz club on the West Coast to a plunge into bankruptcy — Yoshi’s on Fillmore was taken over by new owners July 1 and is tuning up for its next gig.

Yoshi’s San Francisco, launched at the end of 2007 as the offspring of 42-year-old Yoshi’s in Oakland, will no longer be a jazz club, despite its heritage and its locale in what was once the fabled Harlem of the West. In fact, it hasn’t been a jazz club for several years, and the music promises to get still more eclectic under new management.

The big question is what the new Yoshi’s is going to look like, sound like and taste like. It’s hard to say just yet because the take-over management team, headed by longtime minority owner and successful urban developer Michael E. Johnson — who developed the Fillmore Heritage Center housing Yoshi’s, 1300 on Fillmore and 80 condominiums above — took control suddenly last month without a fully developed business plan. Even as the curtain rises this month, the new Yoshi’s, including its new name, is a work in progress.

Full story
peterdubya
Founding Member

Postby peterdubya » July 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm

Thanks everybody!

I'm pretty excited about this.

So, yes: in 90 - 120 days the name of the venue will change as will the menu etc.

As for the music, it's going to be great, I promise.

I have some great shows to announce very soon!
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » July 21st, 2014, 4:25 pm

Sounds exciting, Peter.
Welcome back!
Cem

Postby Cem » July 21st, 2014, 4:40 pm

All the best and good luck, Peter!
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 21st, 2014, 6:06 pm

peterdubya wrote:Thanks everybody!

I'm pretty excited about this.

So, yes: in 90 - 120 days the name of the venue will change as will the menu etc.

As for the music, it's going to be great, I promise.

I have some great shows to announce very soon!

Thank you and mazel tov, Peter!

I'm very glad that we JT readers can (as your time permits) get our news about the S.F. venue and you from the horse's mouth.
Image           Image     
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 21st, 2014, 7:34 pm

http://www.sfstation.com/2014/06/03/own ... francisco/

Big changes are on the way for Yoshi’s in the Fillmore District after a new owner was announced for the jazz venue and sushi restaurant.

UPDATED, JUNE 4: A representative of Fillmore Live Entertainment Group says Yoshi’s San Francisco will be rebranded with a new name 90-120 days after the change of ownership is finalized on July 1.

“We will be rebranding it to a new name,” says Michael Johnson, a member of the ownership group and president and CEO of UrbanCore Development. “That’s probably the most substantive change and the second most substantive change is the food menu.”

Johnson says Fillmore Live will be updating the venue’s image to move away from its reputation as a sushi and jazz venue. The venue will likely feature a more eclectic music lineup, similar to the range of genres found at nearby Fillmore Auditorium. The group has not yet decided on how the food and drink menus will change, but it will not food offerings will not be sushi or Japanese cuisine.

“Yoshi’s has been doing other forms of music other than jazz for many years, but it’s still kind of known primarily as a jazz club,” Johnson says. “Part of our marketing effort will be to redefine the position of this venue in the marketplace as a live entertainment, music and comedy performance venue.”

“A lot of things could be happening there without the subtext that it’s a jazz club and in the Fillmore Jazz Preservation District,” he says.

UrbanCore Development was developer for the Yoshi’s San Francisco construction project in 2005-2006 and the company leased the restaurant/venue to Yoshi’s San Francisco. The UrbanCore also a co-owner of Yoshi’s San Francisco with its investment group, but was not involved with day-to-day operations.

Another priority for Fillmore Live is building a better connection with the surrounding neighborhood, Johnson says.

“Some members—not the majority—of the local community don’t feel like it has had a connection with the local community,” he says. “I think that is something we can improve on.”

Peter Williams, former entertainment director at Yoshi’s Oakland for more than 10 years and entertainment director for the first year of Yoshi’s San Francisco, will return to do booking at the rebranded venue.

JUNE 3 REPORT: Effective July 1, Fillmore Live Entertainment Group will assume ownership of the venue and restaurant that opened as an expansion of Yoshi’s in Oakland in 2007.

“This transition provides the opportunity to implement exciting plans for the future including re-branding the entire concept. This will include more diverse music programming, a new food and beverage menu, and creating a dynamic guest experience,” said Michael Johnson, Managing Partner of Fillmore Live Entertainment Group in a statement announcing the ownership change. “While Yoshi’s SF, has achieved substantial success over the last 6 years, this is a tremendous opportunity to build on that, and position this venue in the marketplace for even greater success in the future.”

Bob Burke of Ovation Consulting Restaurant + Hospitality will oversee operations with the group. Burke’s previous experience includes positions at Gordon Biersch, Piatti, Pat Kuleto Restaurants and Forge.

The new owners are expected to keep the Yoshi’s San Francisco name for the immediate future and there are no immediate plans to change the live music, food or beverage program, according to the announcement. Representatives could not immediately be reached for comment.

Yoshi’s Oakland will continue with the same ownership and dining and music options it has offered since it opened 40 years ago.

Since it opened in San Francisco in 2007, Yoshi’s has hosted some of the biggest name in jazz, hip hop and other genres, including George Clinton, De La Soul, Sheila E., Dave Chappelle, Roy Hargrove and many more.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 22nd, 2014, 5:17 am

Congratulations, Peter. However, if you book Justin Bieber I'm coming after you.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » July 22nd, 2014, 11:16 pm

Peter knows his stuff and his musical taste has always been very eclectic. I'm betting on him 'cause I respect and admire him as well.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » July 23rd, 2014, 3:09 am

Best of luck with this new gig, Peter!
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 23rd, 2014, 5:33 am

How exciting! Congrats and best of luck to Peter!!
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » July 23rd, 2014, 10:23 am

Any time a jazz venue is brought back from the dead is great news. Congrats Peter!!
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 23rd, 2014, 8:35 pm

I'm with Valerie! I also understand and appreciate that Peter's tastes are eclectic, so they will likely serve the "jazz community" and "others" well.

I respect Peter's choices in advance.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 24th, 2014, 7:04 am

Good News! :D
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 25th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Here is some upcoming music I would love to hear!

ALEXANDER ABREU Y HAVANA D'PRIMERA

Aug 01-Aug 2, 2014

Cuba's hottest Timba band!

Friday-Saturday, Aug 1-2

OPEN DANCE FLOOR!
8pm $30
10pm $30
Limited All Night Dance Pass $45 - gets you into both shows!

Alexander Abreu y Havana D’Primera is the Cuban Timba band directed and founded by Alexander Abreu in 2008, widely recognized as one of the greatest trumpet players of his generation - enriching most of the musical productions on the island. The band was formed by a collective of the best musicians and Cuban-All-Stars artists in the current Cuban scenario, including not only revolutionary dominating musicians in the 90’s but also the most talented musicians of the upcoming years. Alexander has established himself as a dominating vocalist and renowned songwriter. His highly sophisticated melodic voice has made him remain as an outstanding vocalist with the added melodic sophistication of a skilled instrumentalist. He is considered one of the most versatile Cuban musicians, who has made of his music a fascinating rhythmic and musical fusion of Salsa, Jazz, Funk and Afro-Cuban.

http://www.yoshis.com/sanfrancisco/live ... /show/4438
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » August 20th, 2014, 1:22 pm

To varying degrees, the club's schedule for the next few months has been filled out—

http://www.yoshis.com/sanfrancisco/calendar

Looks to me as if a lot of jazz is going to sneak in.
;)
BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » October 14th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Pete C
Founding Member

Postby Pete C » October 16th, 2014, 5:55 am

With the SF Jazz space having almost nightly gigs at two different spaces, it would be tough for a straight jazz club to make it. Peter is sure to bring lots of great world music, and who knows, maybe he can find an accordionist, guitarist & organist to do a Christmas tribute to The Three Suns.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » October 17th, 2014, 11:35 pm

my newest favorite female vocalist is appearing next month: Cecile McLorin Salvant!

it's a bit ironic that Manhattan Transfer are also booked for November.

lots of good folks are booked, be they jazz, close to jazz, or not jazz! LOL!
peterdubya
Founding Member

Postby peterdubya » October 22nd, 2014, 1:40 pm

I don't log in as much as I used to, but a Three Suns Christmas tribute would be stellar!

Manhattan Transfer will perform in a tribute to Tim Hauser with another vocalist in his place.

Working on more more more.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 22nd, 2014, 3:11 pm

We realize that you're busy Peter, but we welcome your visits as you find time for them.

We like to know what's cookin' in your new "environment", so please feel free to post jazz shows in Jazz in the San Francisco Bay Area in Jazz Talk. Other genres may go into Other Music.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”