Enrico Pieranunzi

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
David Gitin
Founding Member

Enrico Pieranunzi

Postby David Gitin » July 6th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Recently, I saw that Ron Thorne was a fan, so I thought I'd start a thread of appreciation. His range of skill (and vision) is enormous, from project to project. I only had the pleasure of hearing him 'live' once, solo, opening for duo of Enrico Rava/Stefano Bollani in San Francisco ("Italian" night?), part of SF Jazz. I enjoy listening to him often. Any other fans here?
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Re: Enrico Pieranunzi

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » July 6th, 2014, 4:34 pm

David, I don't know a whole lot about Enrico Pieranunzi but I've heard some of his music here and there over the years. Your thread is telling me that I should delve a little more deeply into his piano playing. Who knows? Maybe I can eventually turn my piano playing brother-in-law onto an Italian pianist. He seems to be stuck on the late great Mulgrew Miller. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Thanks for the heads-up.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
David Gitin
Founding Member

Postby David Gitin » July 6th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Perhaps he'd like Dream Dance with Marc Johnson and Joey Baron, or Special Encounter with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian? :)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 6th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, David.

I have to thank our friend Helge (Sand) for making me aware of this extraordinary pianist about 10 years ago. I've since collected a number of his recordings, mostly trio work, along with a few quartet outings. I've always been a huge fan of piano trios, especially when the empathy is great among all three members. Enrico's choice of bassists and drummers adds to his appeal for me.

I find Enrico's approach to be extremely lyrical and melodic, while not overlooking rhythmic and harmonic possibilities. He reminds me somewhat of Bill Evans, though he definitely has his own signature.

Here are a few recommendations and a YouTube video.

Live at the Village Vanguard with Marc Johnson (bass) & Paul Motian (drums)
Live in Paris with Hein Van de Geyn (bass) & André "Dédé" Ceccarelli (drums)
The Night Gone By with Marc Johnson & Paul Motian
Alone Together with Philip Catherine (guitar), Hein Van de Geyn (bass) & Joe LaBarbera (drums)

If I had to choose one album to expose a friend to Enrico Pieranunzi, think I would choose The Night Gone By, the same album I began with. It's utterly sublime.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 6th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Here is a considerably earlier recording (1986) of Enrico and his trio. It's a good one.

Enrico Pieranunzi - piano
Enzo Pietropaoli - bass
Fabrizio Sferra - drums

Jazz Ost-West Festival in Nürnberg 1986, Germany

David Gitin
Founding Member

Postby David Gitin » July 7th, 2014, 1:12 pm

A more 'daring' date is DOORWAYS, duets with Paul Motian (and 3 tracks including Chris Potter).
David Gitin
Founding Member

Postby David Gitin » July 15th, 2014, 9:40 am

and if you like Nino Rota's tunes from Fellini films, there's FELLINI JAZZ: Enrico Pieranunzi, Chris Potter, Kenny Wheeler, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 15th, 2014, 11:32 am

Thanks for mentioning Fellini Jazz, David. That's a terrific recording!

Return to “Jazztalk Central”