Nice guy musicians

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Nice guy musicians

Postby Mike Schwartz » June 27th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Topic borrowed from another board....by tale or personal experience.

I've been blessed to have met many. I'll chime in later.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Nice guy musicians

Postby Mike Schwartz » June 27th, 2014, 4:43 pm

The drummer/percussionist Matt Wilson, who has been so generous with me any time he was asked to do something related to a radio request. Truly a humble person with so much talent and a HUGE sense of humor.

He's suffering right now.
His wife passed away last week after a 4 year battle with leukemia. They were together back to the days when they met as university music students.

Great guy musician to be sure and so sorry for his loss.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 27th, 2014, 6:33 pm

One who sticks out among many in this category is drummer Danny Gottlieb. He's an extraordinary musician, and capable of playing in many genres, though jazz is his first love.

How many can say that Joe Morello was best man at their wedding?

We met Danny in Anchorage in the early 70s when he was playing with Tanglewood*, a quartet patterned after Gary Burton's group, and playing much of Gary's material. They were supporting singer Oleta Adams at the Top of the World restaurant/lounge in the Anchorage Westward Hotel, 15 floors up, with a panoramic view.

Danny is mellow, friendly, and always interested in sharing what he knows, whether in casual or more structured settings, such as a gig or clinic. And, he's always so modest, unassuming and pleasant. He's a real sweetheart, and we love him. That goes for our "kids" as well. They've know Danny since they were young, when he played badminton with them in our yard after Patti made spaghetti dinner for the band.

Patti & I got a chance to hear Danny & Beth Gottlieb perform in Anchorage last summer with Gary Sinise. We hung out later and had dinner and some beverages.

I plan on inviting Danny to join us here on Jazztalk to answer questions when he has the time.

*Tanglewood:
Bill Molenhof - vibraphone
Wayne Johnson - guitar
Dewey Dellay - bass
Danny Gottlieb - drums
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » June 28th, 2014, 6:45 am

FWIW, I think Dennis Gonzalez is a genuinely nice man.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
LennyH

Postby LennyH » June 28th, 2014, 7:32 am

I saw the Mingus Big Band once in Paris and the Dynasty once in NYC, and both times I enjoyed the playing of Wayne Escoffery. After the NY show, which was several years ago now, he walked by and I talked to him about his horn (he played a vintage horn at the time). I'd recently rebuilt a 1929 Buescher True Tone and he was genuinely interested.

This month I attended the Clifford Brown Jazz Fest in Wilmington, DE, and was surprised to see him playing with one of the bands. After his show, he got some food and took a seat to eat his dinner. He pretty much was being left alone, so it was a perfect time for me to bother him. I went over and talked to him for a while and offered to go buy him a local pale ale, an offer he gladly accepted. Nice guy.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » June 28th, 2014, 8:19 am

walto wrote:FWIW, I think Dennis Gonzalez is a genuinely nice man.

I certainly second that one, and he's been extremely nice to me personally. When I had a long hospitalization in 2005, several JazzCornerites called me in the hospital (which was a real comfort and for which I'll always be grateful). But Dennis called me three or four times!

Speaking of which, I'm sorry to hear about Matt Wilson's loss, Mike.

Ellery Eskelin seems like a very nice guy and was capable of recognizing a fan (me) and remembering her name and the "context" after a 10-second interaction a year earlier---despite having met countless people in the meantime.
Image           Image     
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » June 30th, 2014, 6:59 pm

So do I, though we've never met offline. Genuine and nice, indeed.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » July 1st, 2014, 2:11 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:

So do I, though we've never met offline. Genuine and nice, indeed.

another vote for Dennis and I did have the pleasure of meeting him in Boston years ago!
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 1st, 2014, 4:19 pm

Berklee is a client of mine and I was recently writing some materials for them, one specifically about the Berklee Global Jazz Institute, headed by Danilo Perez. I had the opportunity to interview him a couple of months ago but due to his schedule the only time available was one night right after he arrived in his hotel in Germany after a long flight. Despite his weariness, he was very pleasant, helpful, and respectful.

As you can read in another thread, I also just spent an afternoon with Bob Moses, who could not have been nicer.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 1st, 2014, 4:35 pm

another DG fan....met he and the uber-talented boys on a trip to Cali.

Always stepped up to a radio appearance each time he was asked.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 3rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Ditto.

I don't think you really want me to make a list of all the nice guys (gals?) I know. It would take quite a while.

Herewith a few of my faves: Joe Williams ( :D ); Nancy Wilson; JoBelle Yanely; Eric Schneider; Eddie Johnson; John Young; Clark Terry; Scotty Barnhart; Russell Malone; Terry Thompson, Curtis Prince.
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 3rd, 2014, 8:50 am

In son JC's band there a bunch of nice guys and Claire Daly, Warren Smith and Julian Prestley stand out. Other nice guys I have known that immediately come to mind are Tommy Newsom. Phantom Ross Tompkins, Joe LaBarbara and Bob Cooper.

LDB was usually pretty nice to me.
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » July 3rd, 2014, 9:05 am

hornplayer wrote:nice guys (gals?)

"Gals" seems so outdated and yucky! But plain old "nice musicians" falls a little flat. With no better choice coming to mind, I think I prefer "guys" for both.

At concerts I went to years ago, both Paul Dunmall and Mat Maneri spent time hanging out and chatting with members of the audience---individuals (including me) and groups (including us DC JazzCornerites, at least in Mat Maneri's case). "Friendly" may not be a reliable indicator of "nice," but it's certainly easy to draw that conclusion.
Image           Image     
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 3rd, 2014, 6:59 pm

moldyfigg wrote:In son JC's band there a bunch of nice guys and Claire Daly, Warren Smith and Julian Prestley stand out. Other nice guys I have known that immediately come to mind are Tommy Newsom. Phantom Ross Tompkins, Joe LaBarbara and Bob Cooper.

LDB was usually pretty nice to me.

Claire is a wonderful person...she'll be out on the left coast in August.

B-3 master Dr. Lonnie Smith, saxophonist Javon Jackson, guitarist Dave Stryker, vocalist/pianist Dena DeRose, violinist Regina Carter. NEA Master Kenny Barron, Jazz Messenger Bobby Watson, pianist/composer Kenny Werner, saxophonist Bob Mintzer, saxophonist Donny McCaslin, saxophonist Steve Wilson; these are folks I've met numerous times and had the pleasure of interviewing too and couldn't have possibly been more friendly, warm and accommodating.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » July 4th, 2014, 7:06 am

Mike Schwartz wrote:The drummer/percussionist Matt Wilson, who has been so generous with me any time he was asked to do something related to a radio request. Truly a humble person with so much talent and a HUGE sense of humor.

His wife passed away last week after a 4 year battle with leukemia. They were together back to the days when they met as university music students.

I've talked to Matt a few times over the years and he is really a sweet and interesting guy. So sorry to hear about his wife. That's awful. I know he has fairly young kids, maybe twins if I recall correctly.

Ravi Coltrane was also extremely friendly and down to earth when I chatted with him when he and Matt were playing a gig with Joanne Brackeen.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 4th, 2014, 2:36 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:
Mike Schwartz wrote:The drummer/percussionist Matt Wilson, who has been so generous with me any time he was asked to do something related to a radio request. Truly a humble person with so much talent and a HUGE sense of humor.

I've talked to Matt a few times over the years and he is really a sweet and interesting guy. So sorry to hear about his wife. That's awful. I know he has fairly young kids, maybe twins if I recall correctly.

Ravi Coltrane was also extremely friendly and down to earth when I chatted with him when he and Matt were playing a gig with Joanne Brackeen.

Matt Wilson has a daughter, his eldest, and triplet sons.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 8th, 2014, 8:57 am

I fondly recall hanging our in the lobby of Ronnie Scott's puffing stogies and visiting with Joe Pass, a great player and very nice guy.
Bright moments

Return to “Jazztalk Central”