Big Bands

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Big Bands

Postby moldyfigg » July 1st, 2013, 9:49 am

Big jazz bands have always been favorites. Having been lucky enough to see Ellington, Basie, Herman, Kenton erlier and seeing more recent bands like Toshiko, Mingus (memorial band?), Jones/Lewis and others has only made my fondness for this form grow. Nothing can match the sound of 14-16 players in full cry for visceral reaction. For that Woody's band was top.

My pick for the best big band in the late 20th Century is Thad Jones/Mel Lewis. Not many other bands ever combined great arranging. powerful section play and virtuoso solos. Check out "Groove Merchant" which has probably the best sax section writing since Benny Carter

These were all working bands, not studio assembled for one gig. No that the studio recordings are not great, but there's something about hearing top players who have played together for a long time comfortably display their genius that gets into my inner soul..
Bright moments
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Big Bands

Postby Ron Thorne » July 1st, 2013, 11:43 am

I would agree with your sentiments on that group of stellar big bands, Clint. I've heard them all, but only one of them in person, the Mingus Big Band, which is a killer!

My good friend Danny Gottlieb used to sub for Mel Lewis in that band, when Mel was sick or had other commitments. In fact, Danny gave me some rivets which Mel gave him to use in his sizzle cymbals. They're copper instead of the usual brass rivets, so have a slightly different sound when activated. I've had Mel's rivets in my 22" A. Zildjian sizzle/ride for over 30 years.

Here's a classic video. Enjoy.

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » July 1st, 2013, 6:31 pm

My Southern California dad was a major fan of Woody Herman, too. I try to listen to the Thundering Herds with his ears.

I did see Count Basie live at Disneyland when I was young. That was a blessed treat.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 1st, 2013, 7:23 pm

the kenny clarke /francy boland is another excellent big band. this is an excellent portrait of band and members in 5 parts I think

or this concert clip w carmen mcrae

and then there is Sun Ra and more later maybe.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 2nd, 2013, 7:39 am

I grew up on big band music. Probably listened to it in utero, bc my folks were huge fans. They went dancing to whoever was playing in Chicago at least once a month all through my early childhood. We had recordings of everyone... Ellington, Basie, Goodman, Glenn Miller, the Dorseys, Tex Beneke, Fletcher Henderson, Sammy Kaye, Spike Jones, in our house, and played them... can't even remember them all offhand. Heard lots of them in high school. The Blue Note in Chicago had coke sets on Sunday afternoons with whoever was playing that week, and a good friend and I went often. Ellington, Basie, Kenton, Diz

First recorded music I bought for myself was Count Basie Swings, Joe Williams Sings. I was in 7th grade.

Played in a great big band in grad school... we won the Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festival back in the dark ages (1974). Missed the chance to sit in with Basie a few years later bc I didn't have my mouthpiece with me. :( but did get to sit in with Diz on New Years Eve early 80's.

Clint, I can't believe you didn't mention JC's band...... :shock:
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 2nd, 2013, 10:31 am

hornplayer wrote:Clint, I can't believe you didn't mention JC's band...... :shock:

JC's band is "biggish" about 11-12 pieces. So I guess it doesn't fit into the "big" category. But they are damned good, especially when Claire Daly, Julian Pressley, Liberty Elman and Warren Smith are on the stand.
Bright moments
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 2nd, 2013, 12:29 pm

Clint, don't start this before 12 minutes in

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 2nd, 2013, 12:41 pm

The West Coast version of the Biggish band will be in L.A. on Thursday, the 11th. Edison Lounge, downtown.
Bright moments
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » July 2nd, 2013, 1:20 pm

I have to admit I tend to favor smaller ensembles, and even solo recordings, over big bands. Same is true for me in "classical" music too. My idea of a great big band was some of the Mingus groups, which weren't really "big" but sounded big.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » July 2nd, 2013, 2:26 pm

stonemonkts wrote:I have to admit I tend to favor smaller ensembles, and even solo recordings, over big bands. Same is true for me in "classical" music too. My idea of a great big band was some of the Mingus groups, which weren't really "big" but sounded big.

I agree (love duos especially), but I do still like big bands. (More for listening; spent too much time "buried" in them.) Two of my favorites already mentioned: Basie and Clark-Boland.

Buddy Rich had a nice band for a while (check out Emarcy album "Both Sides" or get the Mosaic set.) Look at the line-up (from AllMusic):
Buddy Rich, the most remarkable drummer to ever play jazz, can easily have his career divided into three. During 1937-1945 he was a notable sideman with big bands including those of Bunny Berigan, Artie Shaw, and Tommy Dorsey. In 1966 he formed his own successful orchestra that capitulated him to his greatest fame. During the 20 years in between, Rich led short-lived bebop big bands, a variety of combos, toured with Jazz at the Philharmonic, recorded with all-star groups, and had stints with the orchestras of Dorsey and Harry James. This seven-CD set draws its material from Rich's second period and it can also be divided into two. The first half has Rich recording for producer Norman Granz in a variety of combos. Rich interacts with trumpeter Harry "Sweets" Edison in a pair of octets (with Benny Carter or Willie Smith on altos), a quintet with altoist Sonny Criss, a Basie-oriented big band, and another quintet with pianist Jimmy Rowles. Edison is in peak form throughout. In addition, Rich heads an octet that has four of Count Basie's sidemen of the time (trumpeters Thad Jones and Joe Newman, tenor saxophonist Frank Wess, and rhythm guitarist Freddie Green) plus tenor great Ben Webster, the remarkable pianist Oscar Peterson, and bassist Ray Brown. A live quartet outing with the exciting tenor Flip Phillips acts as a bridge to the Emarcy and Argo recordings of Rich's working bands of 1960-1961. A septet arranged by Ernie Wilkins introduces vibraphonist Mike Mainieri, who is also heard with Rich in a sextet with flutist Sam Most, and a group with Most and trumpeter Rolf Ericson. One date with the Most-Mainieri lineup was released for the first time with this box. While Rich has his share of solo space throughout, playing ridiculously virtuosic solos, this swinging music contains much more than just drum solos, with all of the key principals being well featured. This limited-edition box set, which leaves out Rich's four vocal albums of the period (he does take a lone vocal on "Bongo, Bass and Guitar"), a collaboration with fellow drummer Max Roach, and a pair of big-band dates (including one co-led by Gene Krupa), has virtually everything else that Rich recorded as a leader during 1950-1965. Highly recommended and (as is typical for Mosaic) perfectly conceived.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 3rd, 2013, 1:15 pm

I have thousands of recordings small group stuff, which I love, but the power of a big band gets my motor running.
Bright moments
jaka
Founding Member

Postby jaka » July 3rd, 2013, 1:23 pm

Does the Maria Schneider Orchestra qualify?
If so, I love that stuff.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 3rd, 2013, 7:04 pm

jaka wrote:Does the Maria Schneider Orchestra qualify?

Absolutely, jaka!

I love her work, and was proud to be a part of her latest effort with Dawn Upshaw, Winter Morning Walks on ArtistShare. Wow!

makpjazz57
Founding Member

Postby makpjazz57 » July 3rd, 2013, 7:12 pm

Way to hard for me to pick just one big band as a favorite, though I loved the Buddy Rich Big Band to pieces, both for the way Buddy swung the band and the great musicians that worked for him...oh, and the writers/arrangers.

Then, I loved Woody's 60s band, too, with Nistico, Pierce, the great trumpet section with Bill Chase "leading" the way. Woody Live East and West comes to mind.

Basie, always and forever, too. Loved that Basie always had the BEST drummers to swing his band from Papa Joe to Sonny Payne, to Harold Jones and Butch Miles.

Thad and Mel - so very said I didn't get to hear them live at the Vanguard, but i did have the opportunity to hear Mel Lewis and the band at the Vanguard many a Monday night.

I also LOVED Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass. Again, great musicians (Moe Koffman, Terry Clarke, Rob, Eugene Amaro, Guido Basso) and oh my goodness, could Rob write and arrange! Rob had a distinctive and beautiful style of writing/arranging.

Marla
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 3rd, 2013, 7:40 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:A big band is something I've never had the pleasure of hearing in person.

Now THAT has got to be a trip!

Hope to experience it one of these days.

Prepare to have your head expanded, Scott.

Dig this!

rawac
Founding Member

Postby rawac » July 3rd, 2013, 11:04 pm

Without any doubt:YES.
Saw her (or them) at the Jazz Standard on my last NY Holiday. Was the musical highlight of that voyage.

An other Big Band i like very much hasn#t bben mentioned here:

Large One:
cond: Peter Herborn
db: John Hebert
dr: Gene Jackson
p: Uri Caine
sax: Adam Kolker; Greg Osby
t-sax/fl: Gary Thomas
tbn: Robin Eubanks; Clark Gayton; Dan Gottshall; Jeff Nelson
tp: Dave Ballou
tp/flhn: Taylor Haskins
...: Miriam Kaul; Marvin Sewell; Alex Steward; John Swana; Dontae Winslow

Large Two:
cond: Peter Herborn
db: John Hebert
dr: Gene Jackson
gtr: Andreas Wahl
p: Uri Caine; Tim Murphy
sax: Andreas Bölke; Antonio Hart; Axel Knappmeyer; Adam Kolker; Greg Osby; Gary Thomas
tbn: Robin Eubanks; Jeff Nelson; Jürgen Neudert; Ansgar Striepens; Nils Wogram
tp: Taylor Haskin; Stephan Meinberg; Alex Norris; Christian Winninghoff

In Germany we have a creative completion between NDR Big Band and WDR Big Band, followed by the SWR and the HR Big Band
All four are financed by public-service broadcastasting organisations of the federal states.

George Gruntz i should mention too, a big loss of this year.

acc: Luciano Biondini
b-sax: Scott Robinsion
dr: Francois Laizeau
eb: Arie Volinez
euph/tbn: Dave Bargeron
p/ld: George Gruntz
sax: Andy Serrer
sax/fl: Sal Giorgianni; Chris Hunter; Larry Schneider
tba: Howard Johnson
tbn: Rene Mosele
tp: Mike Rodriguez; Alexander Sipiain; Lew Soloff
tp/frhn: Jeff Stockham
Best wishes from the south-west corner of Germany

Ralf
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 4th, 2013, 10:42 am

Hearing any good big band, and that sure include Schneider's, is, for me, a physical experience. Since I've been around for a few years, I've had the joy of hearing almost all the great big bands in person. Until Jones/Lewis, Woody Herman's great bands always blew off my shorts (not a nice sight to see).

I've always regretted not seeing Jimmy Lunceford's band but have visited with Gerald Wilson about it. They swung so hard and were so tight.
Bright moments
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » July 4th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » July 4th, 2013, 10:36 pm

No, actually that would be OVER qualified :D
cookie
Founding Member

Postby cookie » July 6th, 2013, 12:18 pm

I dig Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band.

Favorite "classic" band is Basie's, natch.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » July 6th, 2013, 12:41 pm

I always dug Artie Shaw's bands, ones you don't hear much about these days.

And, of course, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Oliver Nelson and ... Gerald Wilson.

Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » July 13th, 2013, 1:30 pm

The 1st big band I truly got into and will always love is the Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabakin Big Band! I own over a dz albums but my favorites are Kogun, Long Yellow Road, Insights, & Farewell (for Mingus). Very Highly recommended for any big band lover!

+++on Rob McConnell's Boss Brass, great stuff. His records featuring his tentet are keeper's also!

Lastly, one of the most unique musical experiences you can have is a big band live! I've seen a few with the most memorable being in this small club to catch the Ellington band, led by Mercer. It was the middle of the week, club was half-empty and was able to sit front row center by the 2nd set. To feel the power and impact, the slam, it's truly physical, is simply unforgettable!

I'll leave my experiences with the Tito Puente Orchestra for another time!;)
graypencil
Founding Member

Postby graypencil » July 23rd, 2013, 10:37 am

Big bands ( while I love 'em all and have put my money where my notation program is ) :? are pretty much a studio phenomenon these days except for a few places like LA, Seattle, and NYC where live bands of varying interests and abilities shill can be heard on a regular basis. Keeping a first rate big band together with a list personnel that plays together on a regular basis is pretty much an impossible task anymore. ( not to mention the humongous task of maintaining the logistics of one -calling personnell, finding A list subs, and -oh yeh-\finding actual PAYING gigs for large ensembles! :cry:

Having said that, there's still some outstanding recorded efforts out there for those who like large ensemble work. Here are a few I've found recently:

River Runs -Chuck Owens Jazz Surge plus full orchestra -stunning recording !

The UNT One and Two o clockl bands ( led by Steve Weist (1) and Jay Saunders ( 2) each have outstanding new recordings available.

Standard Time -Alan Blaylock orchestra -excellent re -settings of many old "warhorse" jazz standards that Blaylock manages to reconstruct freshly and played by some of the WaDC areas best players.

and while not what I'd call "big band" repertiore, the Maria Schneider /Dawn Upshaw orchestral work is absolutely stunning ! :#1: :#1: I've been waiting a long time to hear what Maria would do with this type of ensemble, and it exceeded my expectations by far!

OTOH: The one CD that the NYC critics loved ( and I just flat out dont "get" )
is Darcy James Argues "Brooklyn Babylon " ..WTF is this? the king has no clothes on AFAIAC ..... :poo: :poo: :poo:

Oh yeh ..I still have three big band CDs on Origin Records as well :D :D :D
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » July 23rd, 2013, 10:40 am

Son JC played with a nine piece pickup band in LA . Without rehearsal, they nailed it.

There are a lot of good players out there.
Bright moments
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » July 23rd, 2013, 1:16 pm

A good source of Big Band music these days can be found at colleges. I've seen concerts advertised at different schools that usually feature an invited 'guest' soloist. One school that's had success actually recording is the Manhattan School of Music. They've released 2 records with Bobby Sanabria; 'Kenya Revisited' (Playing the music of the classic Machito recording), & 'Tito Puente Masterworks 'Live'. While Sanabria sits in occasionally he's usually conducting (he teaches there also). They've also released 3 records featuring Dave Liebman and the music of Evans/Davis; 'Miles Ahead', 'Porgy & Bess', & 'Sketches of Spain'. Prior to hearing these guys I honestly used to dismiss college bands, thinking of them as being no more than cheerleader back-ups. I couldn't be more wrong as this band plays with fire, finesse, & precision! I have no doubt that some of these guys will go on to be premier artists in their own right.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”