Alex Hoffman on Wayne Shorter - WTF?

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
pig pen
Founding Member

Alex Hoffman on Wayne Shorter - WTF?

Postby pig pen » November 5th, 2013, 5:11 am

I was made aware of this little tempest in a tea pot yesterday. The only thing I can guess is that Alex Hoffman will be embarrassed by this when he grows up a bit (I guess I'm an optimist).

Here's a summary of Alex's thoughts on Wayne and many other things musical (and just plain fucked up) and one person's rebuttal:

http://atane.tumblr.com/post/42352498860/cerebral-decanting-speak-no-evil-alex-hoffman-gives
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
pig pen
Founding Member

Re: Alex Hoffman on Wayne Shorter - WTF?

Postby pig pen » November 5th, 2013, 6:53 am

In case anyone isn't aware of who Alex is, he's a young sax player who primarily plays straight-ahead jazz.

"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » November 5th, 2013, 7:54 am

Image           Image     
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » November 5th, 2013, 8:43 am

Image           Image     
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » November 5th, 2013, 10:30 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Fucking christ! Those have got to be two of the most boring motherfuckers on the face of the planet!

If anybody makes it through that video, will you please summarize for the rest of us?

Agreed! That video was actually what brought this sorry little tale to my attention and I skipped ahead as much as I could to get the gist of it since I couldn't take the whole thing. I found the blog post above that seemed to summarize the gist of AH's rant.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » November 5th, 2013, 10:50 am

I'm not a fan of Shorter's recent stuff, but this Alex has baryard detritus for brains.
Bright moments
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » November 5th, 2013, 11:12 am

Scott Dolan wrote:catatonic state of dipshittery.

I believe that has been added to the latest DSM. Treatment consists of a twice-daily kick in ass.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » November 6th, 2013, 4:18 am

Yes, the Alex Hoffman scandal raged over Facebook and the jazz blogosphere for two or three weeks. Most commentary was outrage at his effrontery, most of the rest was debate over whether Shorter's current quartet is the most brilliant evolution of jazz or the emperor's new clothes. I don't recall anyone sticking up for Hoffman, except for a few lonely voices saying that he's not a bad musician despite his big mouth.

In that interview, he does come across as someone you wouldn't necessarily invite to a party.
Praise Cheeses!
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » November 6th, 2013, 7:18 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Fucking christ! Those have got to be two of the most boring motherfuckers on the face of the planet!

If anybody makes it through that video, will you please summarize for the rest of us?

That about sums it up. When this controversy hit a while back, I kept trying to watch this video, trying and trying, but just couldn't make it through.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » November 6th, 2013, 8:33 am

Of course he's just a nitwit hunting for attention.

I particularly enjoyed his choice of Debussy as an atonal composer, and his criticism of Shorter "as a human being" because, I guess, he doesn't enjoy his playing.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » November 6th, 2013, 10:50 am

Sometimes I wish I could still use the R word with impunity.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » November 6th, 2013, 11:16 am

Like a fart in a windstorm. . .
Bright moments
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » November 6th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Gentle Giant wrote:Sometimes I wish I could still use the R word with impunity.

A recurring opinion in the comments on the interview video was that Hoffman is probably on the autism spectrum---lack of eye contact, etc.

And FWIW, this is one of the comments:

slamdunk9, in the YouTube comments section 8 months ago, wrote:Can this kid clarify the apparent coincidence that Shorter was his primary judge at the Monk Contest that he lost, along with another judge, Greg Osby, who this kid also attacked? Then he attacked Joshua Redman who did win the contest. Sorry but doesn't this seem a little obvious? I think this young man got his feelings hurt and needs to move on.
Image           Image     
peterdubya
Founding Member

Postby peterdubya » November 6th, 2013, 3:45 pm

I followed this on FB when it hit, or for a little while I did....

I tried with the video but found Alex to be one of the single mos boring, depressing souls I've ever seen on a video. His playing is not anything I enjoy either.

There were quite a few posts about it on his FB page, he seems to be a very depressed person.

Never saw the comments about the Monk competition, but see now that it might be sour grapes.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » November 6th, 2013, 4:45 pm

peterdubya wrote:Never saw the comments about the Monk competition, but see now that it might be sour grapes.

A disclaimer, though: The comment quoted in #21 was the only comment about the Monk competition that I came across (except for a reply noting that Hoffman was a finalist), and I can't vouch for its accuracy, in whole or in part. Image Hence my "FWIW."
Image           Image     
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 7th, 2013, 5:14 am

moldyfigg wrote:I'm not a fan of Shorter's recent stuff, but this Alex has baryard detritus for brains.

If Shorter's recent performance on the time-warp re-do of the Arsenio Hall show is an indication, there is nothing bad you could say about his music that isn't warranted. However, I know he made a lot of good music. Man, is he boring now. Boring with all the cliches that make jazz largely boring now.
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » November 7th, 2013, 5:20 am

bluenoter wrote:[size=120][b][font=Times New Roman]A recurring opinion in the comments on the interview video was that Hoffman is probably on the autism spectrum---lack of eye contact, etc.

This makes a lot of sense since, from what I can gather, people with autism can be very obsessed with rules.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » November 7th, 2013, 5:43 am

Monte Smith wrote:If Shorter's recent performance on the time-warp re-do of the Arsenio Hall show is an indication

I didn't see it so I don't know, but Shorter admits his quartet has good nights and bad.

there is nothing bad you could say about his music that isn't warranted.

So, you, uh, didn't like it?

Boring with all the cliches that make jazz largely boring now.

Must disagree: the Shorter quartet's clichés are original!
Praise Cheeses!
Monte Smith
Founding Member

Postby Monte Smith » November 7th, 2013, 6:23 am

Arsenio Hall's producers describe this performance as "taking it to a new level."

moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » November 7th, 2013, 11:03 am

Tom Storer wrote:
Monte Smith wrote:If Shorter's recent performance on the time-warp re-do of the Arsenio Hall show is an indication

I didn't see it so I don't know, but Shorter admits his quartet has good nights and bad.

there is nothing bad you could say about his music that isn't warranted.

So, you, uh, didn't like it?

Boring with all the cliches that make jazz largely boring now.

Must disagree: the Shorter quartet's clichés are original!

He hit his creative peak with Blakey and Miles.
Bright moments
erwbol
Founding Member

Postby erwbol » November 7th, 2013, 1:37 pm

pig pen wrote:
bluenoter wrote:[size=120][b][font=Times New Roman]A recurring opinion in the comments on the interview video was that Hoffman is probably on the autism spectrum---lack of eye contact, etc.

This makes a lot of sense since, from what I can gather, people with autism can be very obsessed with rules.

Autism spectrum is no explanation for retarded opinions and questionable taste in music.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » November 7th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Wayne's post-Weather Report stuff never did it for me, but with the critically acclaimed stuff I usually assume it's me and not him. However I saw him and Carlos Santana together once and thought it was a noodle fest. Don't know the real recent stuff.
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » November 8th, 2013, 11:30 am

Monte Smith wrote:Arsenio Hall's producers describe this performance as "taking it to a new level."

FWIW, I didn't think that was so bad--other than that the first two minutes of it are pure throat clearing. IMHO, that's a defect of at least half of all jazz and improvised music that I've heard from the last 30 years and is something that's been a painfully huge feature of Shorter's output at least since Weather Report. But once he gets going (when he does), look out.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » November 8th, 2013, 12:56 pm

What would anyone on earth think that Arsenio Hall's producers would say about this or any act they're pumping? :?

Given a TV spot with limited time thought it was fabulous and Esperanza definitely went to a place I'd venture she's never visited before as a vocalist!

Return to “Jazztalk Central”