The Next Big Thing?

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: The Next Big Thing?

Postby moldyfigg » October 21st, 2013, 12:58 pm

When we were in New Orleans, talk was about that young player, Bolden. I think his first name was Barry or Bobby or Billy or Buddy.

They said you could hear him across the river in Algiers.
Bright moments
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 21st, 2013, 3:32 pm

moldyfigg wrote:When we were in New Orleans, talk was about that young player, Bolden. I think his first name was Barry or Bobby or Billy or Buddy.

They said you could hear him across the river in Algiers.

I believe it was Anquan. But he never played for the Saints, nor has he played when the Saints go Marching In.
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » October 22nd, 2013, 5:43 am

steve(thelil) wrote:
Steve Reynolds wrote:
like thelil, *I* think I've see most of the greats as well.....and Kilson live that night played like one of the greats.

too bad, it never came across on the ECM recordings like Prime Directive as well you know that same old tired *true*

story

And I have seen both Gerry Hemmmmingway and Andrew Cyrille, btw.

and Drake, too.......

Next up for you is Ches Smith on a good night.....

and one day you might even enjoy the *great* Randy Peterson live
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 22nd, 2013, 5:56 am

Steve Reynolds wrote:

and one day you might even enjoy the *great* Randy Peterson live

Yes, hopefully one day my musical sophistication will grow to the point that I enjoy the artists I'm supposed to.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » October 22nd, 2013, 6:42 am

Mike Schwartz wrote:
Tom Storer wrote:I think James Carter and Regina Carter (no relation) were each hyped a great deal and then went on to merely average careers. They're successful, all right, but they aren't reference points.

They are in fact cousins.

Live and learn!
Praise Cheeses!
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » October 22nd, 2013, 6:53 am

steve(thelil) wrote:
Tom Storer wrote:I think James Carter and Regina Carter (no relation) were each hyped a great deal and then went on to merely average careers. They're successful, all right, but they aren't reference points.

Agree that they aren't reference points. But for jazz artists, I think their careers would be considered above average in terms of media exposure, being on major labels (James: Columbia and Atlantic; Regina: Atlantic and Verve) and cd sales. Other than Diana Krall, Wynton and Branford, I can't think of any current jazz artists under 45 years old who have had bigger careers. Except maybe cross-over jazz/pop artists like Michael Buble, John Pizzarelli and Harry Connick. Connick certainly is bigger with the neo-Sinatra stuff, but I don't think his straight ahead jazz stuff had big sales. I could be wrong. It's klnd of a hobby.

I guess somebody might seem to fall into the category of "failed next big thing" if a) they no longer get the marketing, and b) you stop paying attention to them. For me the two Carters meet those criteria. Some others had their marketing moment, but I still like and pay attention to them, so they don't seem like failed big things to me. Jacky Terrasson would be one of those for me.

A pretty recent "next big thing" was Ambrose Akinmusire. He was getting lots of buzz on the jazz Internet, then he released his album, something about a glistening heart, and that got a big push in the jazz media. Since then, well, he's been touring small venues just like everybody else.
Praise Cheeses!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 22nd, 2013, 6:56 am

Tom Storer wrote:
I guess somebody might seem to fall into the category of "failed next big thing" if a) they no longer get the marketing, and b) you stop paying attention to them. For me the two Carters meet those criteria. Some others had their marketing moment, but I still like and pay attention to them, so they don't seem like failed big things to me. Jacky Terrasson would be one of those for me.

Interesting. Makes me think that it's funny we sometimes buy into "next big things" when, looking back, virtually nobody in jazz ever reaches the point that we mean by "Big Thing."
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » October 22nd, 2013, 7:38 am

steve(thelil) wrote:
Tom Storer wrote:

Interesting. Makes me think that it's funny we sometimes buy into "next big things" when, looking back, virtually nobody in jazz ever reaches the point that we mean by "Big Thing."

Great point. What is "big thing" anyway? Respect of peers, appreciative listeners, reasonable public awareness, fairly regular releases...that would seem to be sufficient to be considered "big" in jazz. In America, at least.
uli
Founding Member

Postby uli » October 22nd, 2013, 9:50 am

I am much much more with Roberto Sierra re James Carter than Storer. I think James Carter is too established to be the next big thing but has as big a career that a jazz musician can have nowadays. Not many get concertos written for them

Chris Dave and the drumhedz for me seem to be the next big thing. The guitarist, Isaiah Sharkey has been the next big thing since he got into the scene in town about 10 years ago and he can't be much older than 24 now

Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 22nd, 2013, 10:23 am

Ambrose is one of those cats whose guesting, and pretty much killin' it on everybody's new album!

I guess another way to put it is who got the 'buzz' when they first came on the scene, and to a certain extent where did they go/what did they do after the initial fanfare.

One thing for certain, whatever this *thing* is, is certainly a jazz community thing almost exclusively with few exceptions. Today Gregory Porter & Esperanza.

In the world outside the one we here love. the mention of extremely well established musicians like Bill Frisell, Joe Lovano and Dave Douglas are barely recognized beyond those who pay attention to the 'arts.'
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 22nd, 2013, 11:17 am

uli wrote:
Chris Dave and the drumhedz for me seem to be the next big thing.

I've seen Chris Dave with Robert Glasper a couple of times. He's an interesting, hard hitting drummer.
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » October 22nd, 2013, 12:38 pm

Tom Storer wrote:A pretty recent "next big thing" was Ambrose Akinmusire. He was getting lots of buzz on the jazz Internet, then he released his album, something about a glistening heart, and that got a big push in the jazz media. Since then, well, he's been touring small venues just like everybody else.

"When the Heart Emerges Glistening." It occurred to me that the annual Monk Competition, which Ambrose A. won in 2007, might be fertile ground for "next big things"---

This high-profile annual event has launched the careers of Marcus Roberts, Joshua Redman, Chris Potter, Jacky Terrasson, Joey De Francesco, Ambrose Akinmusire, Ben Williams, Jane Monheit, and Tierney Sutton, to name a few. Dozens of semifinalists have forged successful careers as jazz performers and educators. The winner is guaranteed a recording contract with Concord Music Group.

---but I'm not sure how to evaluate the results.

past winners (and judges)
Image           Image     
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 22nd, 2013, 12:46 pm

I've seen, in person, the truly great ones - Bird, Diz, Duke, Pops, Earl, T, Hawk, Froggy, Erroll, Mingus, Desmond, Mulligan, Evans, and all those other truly greats.

It's how you define things.
Bright moments
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » October 22nd, 2013, 1:07 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:T?

Testacles, the great Greek God?
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » October 22nd, 2013, 1:22 pm

moldyfigg wrote:I've seen, in person, the truly great ones - Bird, Diz, Duke, Pops, Earl, T, Hawk, Froggy, Erroll, Mingus, Desmond, Mulligan, Evans, and all those other truly greats.

It's how you define things.

It sure is. I hope Monk and Coltrane were among "all those other truly greats"---and closing the dictionary 35 years ago (if that's the case) may have been shortsighted.

Froggy? Mel Torme?
Image           Image     
Coda
Founding Member

Postby Coda » October 22nd, 2013, 2:07 pm

My list would include Benny Green, Danilo Perez, Don Byron, & Dan Barrett. Nicholas Payton is on the edge.

I think these two are more me than them: Roy Hargrove and Christian McBride. Both are wonderful but I feel neither has made their masterpiece recording. They need to try harder.

Stalled - Joe Lovano. He's run out of things to say. Sigh. I still admire him greatly.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » October 22nd, 2013, 4:18 pm

Jack Teagarden, you ignorant bastards. Ben Webster was Froggy.

Unfortunately I never saw Monk, but a lot of folks can say that, especially those who went to a gig and he never showed up.

I saw Trane with Miles. That's when he still played very well.
Bright moments
Jazzooo
Founding Member

Postby Jazzooo » October 22nd, 2013, 8:23 pm

"Stalled, or not, Joe Lovano is one of the most well-established modern Jazz artists out there. No way he qualifies for this list. "

I agree, but I think he's the perfect example of a 'next big thing' that took.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”