Kristin Slipp and Dov Manski

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Kristin Slipp and Dov Manski

Postby Tom Storer » September 16th, 2013, 4:18 am

Does anyone know this singer, Kristin Slipp of Maine? Her new album with pianist Dov Manski (also of Maine) is attracting attention. I heard about it from Allen Lowe on Facebook, who swears this is the best he's heard in a long time.

A rave review can be found here.

I haven't heard the album, just what I've found on YouTube, such as the following clips. I'm not entirely sure if I like it or not--but I am fascinated by it and want to keep listening. Your thoughts?

Praise Cheeses!
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Re: Kristin Slipp and Dov Manski

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 16th, 2013, 3:06 pm

The review states:

"But that is exactly the case. Manski and Slipp’s new recording, A Thousand Julys is brilliant and fresh, an utterly original expansion of the tradition that reaches beyond jazz by using the jazz repertoire to express individual emotions."

In those two clips is this actually happening?

I must say, as someone who gets to hear, literally , a couple of thousand new recordings in,a year, I groan every time I see a song list of old cover tunes. They come in by the bushel so my take is they better really bring something to the table.

Taking into account the low level taping her voice sounds a bit of an annoying shrill, seems a bit clumsy overall, and may have some intonation issues.
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: Kristin Slipp and Dov Manski

Postby bluenoter » September 16th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Tom Storer wrote:I haven't heard the album, just what I've found on YouTube, such as the following clips.
Tom, did you notice this clip, which is from the album?

(I have little basis for commenting on this duo's music, so I won't.)
Image           Image     

Return to “Jazztalk Central”