Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Gary Burton's Autobiography Review

Postby Ron Thorne » September 5th, 2013, 4:56 pm

New book recounts vibraphonist Gary Burton’s jazz journey

By Fernando Gonzalez
Special to the Miami Herald

James Gary Burton was 6, growing up in a small town in Indiana, when his father decided he should have music lessons. Looking for the appropriate instrument, the family attended several music performances, including one by a marimba and vibraphone teacher.

“I don’t really remember this experience, or even the fact that I apparently showed sufficient interest to convince my parents this was the instrument I wanted to play,” Burton says in his autobiography, Learning to Listen: The Jazz Journey of Gary Burton, to be published in September by Berklee Press.

But vibraphone it was. And just like that, the improbable path of one of the great jazz musicians of his generation was set.… Read the full article
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
David Beckett
Founding Member

Re: Gary Burton's Autobiography Review

Postby David Beckett » September 7th, 2013, 9:10 am

Gary's such a badass. I look forward to reading this.

...and seeing him in Lake George this weekend.
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
A friend to Jazz since 1982.
Obsessed with CHORO, powered by Bustelo.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 16th, 2013, 10:51 pm

I just received a cop today....look forward to the experience
David Beckett
Founding Member

Postby David Beckett » September 19th, 2013, 8:56 am

I've just finished this.

It's remarkable, because it addresses so many issues.

Not only does it provide a narrative of Gary's life, it discusses the creative process, music education, changing cultural values, and how Jazz fits in. It's also in great measure about making the decisions which leading to a good life.

If you want road stories and tales of crazy musicians, it's all there.

If you want to know how Berklee became what it is today, that's discussed.

If you want to know how to coax the mind into getting out of the way while improvising, there's as good an explanation in this volume as I've read anywhere.

If you want to know what it's like making the trip from being a child prodigy in a rural part of The United States to being a gay man who makes a living playing Jazz, helping run Berklee and touring with the best musicians alive in the worlds of Tango, Jazz, Concert Music, Rock and Popular Music, ...it's all in there.

If you're reading this thread, you'd almost certainly like the book. A lot.
Burlington VT Realtor.
Radio Broadcaster.
A friend to Jazz since 1982.
Obsessed with CHORO, powered by Bustelo.
askdavidbeckett.com
@DavidBeckettVT
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 19th, 2013, 10:20 am

Thanks for that overview, David.

Since Gary has played such an integral part in my musical life, I need to get my copy.

Anyone who hasn't heard Gary's debut album, Jazz Winds From A New Direction, should get this CD, pronto! It's a much less expensive Hank Garland compilation album.

7/4
Founding Member

Postby 7/4 » September 22nd, 2013, 12:35 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:Thanks for that overview, David.

Since Gary has played such an integral part in my musical life, I need to get my copy.

Anyone who hasn't heard Gary's debut album, Jazz Winds From A New Direction, should get this CD, pronto! It's a much less expensive Hank Garland compilation album.

Great album, a must for jazz guitar fans. 8-)
makpjazz57
Founding Member

Postby makpjazz57 » October 6th, 2013, 4:42 am

I am about 1/2 way through my autographed :-) copy of Gary's book and loving it. Yes, there's all the great road/life stories and lots of honesty about his path to becoming a musician and all the fantatic stories about Gary as a musician over the years. I'm trying to be as vague as possible so as not to give away any of the cool stories. i will say that the book reads as if Gary wrote every single word in the book - kind of like a narrative with lots of very interesting twists and turns...and he did write every single word in the book. GREAT read so far and after finishing what is my 6th day of work, I hope to finish the book tomorrow.

By the way, just heard the Burton quartet for 2 nights at Scullers in Boston and it was a fantastic treat. The group is at that stage where everything is just magic and Burton, Sanchez, Colley, Lage connect on every level of the music. I caught a bit of the brief sound check on opening night, and that's where you not only get to see this connection, but hear it from the guys themselves...they are all loving this gig/tour.

The book is highly recommended; a great jazz read.

Marla
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » October 6th, 2013, 11:00 am

Thanks, Marla.

I must get my copy of this book right away. Wish I had thought to send you some money and have Gary sign a copy for me while he was at Sculler's. :idea:

Sure wish Gary would bring his quartet to Anchorage.
makpjazz57
Founding Member

Postby makpjazz57 » October 6th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Ron, I would have been happy to do that for you; so sorry I didn't think of it myself!

Marla

Return to “Jazztalk Central”