Acoustic or Electric?

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Re: Acoustic or Electric?

Postby Tom Storer » August 28th, 2013, 11:13 am

I prefer an acoustic sound, if I had to choose; but I'm glad I don't have to choose, since there is so much great electric/electronic music.

For me an important distinction is between a band with a strong electric feel in the rhythm section and one where an electric instrument such as guitar or bass happens to be part of an acoustic-sounding band. For example, electric bass, one or more electric guitars, and one or more electric keyboards: that kind of instrumentation is also likely (although obviously not obliged) to play music that is louder and whose rhythms are more strong-arm. If there's a trumpet or saxophonist playing with such a group, it still sounds like an electric band. Whereas if the bass and piano are acoustic, you're more likely to have an acoustic sound even if an electric guitarist is soloing.

If you're Gary Burton in the 70's with Swallow and Metheny, you're sort of in the middle.
Praise Cheeses!
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » August 29th, 2013, 4:13 am

Tom Storer wrote:I prefer an acoustic sound, if I had to choose; but I'm glad I don't have to choose, since there is so much great electric/electronic music.

Indeed!! case in point:

"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 29th, 2013, 11:28 am

Great clip. Thanks, pig pen!

Couldn't help but love seeing that beautiful Fender Rhodes Suitcase Piano as the centerpiece of the keyboardist's kit.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » August 29th, 2013, 2:23 pm

John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » August 30th, 2013, 10:17 am

Electronic instruments are certainly the wave of the future. While they already have many advantages, hey still haven't reached the level of sophistication to replace acoustic instruments. There is something in the overtones from acoustic instruments that electronic instruments still do not capture, at least not that I have heard. They will someday soon.
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 30th, 2013, 12:55 pm

John L wrote:Electronic instruments are certainly the wave of the future. While they already have many advantages, hey still haven't reached the level of sophistication to replace acoustic instruments. There is something in the overtones from acoustic instruments that electronic instruments still do not capture, at least not that I have heard. They will someday soon.

Not until they are installed into acoustic containers.
Bright moments
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » August 31st, 2013, 12:40 am

moldyfigg wrote:
John L wrote:Electronic instruments are certainly the wave of the future. While they already have many advantages, hey still haven't reached the level of sophistication to replace acoustic instruments. There is something in the overtones from acoustic instruments that electronic instruments still do not capture, at least not that I have heard. They will someday soon.

Not until they are installed into acoustic containers.

:D
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » August 31st, 2013, 4:19 pm

I entered jazz through the fusion-cum-prog door, so electric instruments were much favored with me. But now, while I still love that stuff, I most often want to hear acoustic jazz. Someone like Pat Metheny, I really love his playing but when he whips out the synthaxe it tends to leave me cold. And as much as I love Jaco and Stanley, acoustic bass is where it's at for me.

Your example, Ron, of Chick Corea is well taken. I've always thought that his choice of instrumentation follows the requirements of the music he hears in his head, as opposed to, "Here's a cool new toy, let's do something with it." His playing is exceptional regardless of what instrumental he uses.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 31st, 2013, 4:46 pm

Gentle Giant wrote:Your example, Ron, of Chick Corea is well taken. I've always thought that his choice of instrumentation follows the requirements of the music he hears in his head, as opposed to, "Here's a cool new toy, let's do something with it." His playing is exceptional regardless of what instrumental he uses.

I agree. And, Chick Corea's recording Now He Sings, Now He Sobs is, arguably, one of the finest piano trio albums ever made. Return to Forever turned a new corner for Chick with some interesting experimentation with electronics and personnel. I especially like their 1st recording with Airto and Flora stirring things up.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » September 1st, 2013, 5:50 am

Ron Thorne wrote:
Gentle Giant wrote:Your example, Ron, of Chick Corea is well taken. I've always thought that his choice of instrumentation follows the requirements of the music he hears in his head, as opposed to, "Here's a cool new toy, let's do something with it." His playing is exceptional regardless of what instrumental he uses.

I agree. And, Chick Corea's recording Now He Sings, Now He Sobs is, arguably, one of the finest piano trio albums ever made. Return to Forever turned a new corner for Chick with some interesting experimentation with electronics and personnel. I especially like their 1st recording with Airto and Flora stirring things up.

True, he could go way out as easily with just a Fender Rhodes as with a bank of Moogs.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 2nd, 2013, 6:20 am

A related topic to this one is amplification. An acoustic piano, for example, that is being cranked out through mikes and speakers at earsplitting volume to an arena sounds nothing like the same piano in a small club, even if the pianist is delicately tickling the keys. Is there really a difference, in terms of the listener's experience, between an overamplified acoustic instrument and an electric one? Or rather, is the difference not potentially reversed? Personally I would rather hear an electric instrument at a soft volume level, capturing nuances of attack and dynamics, than an acoustic instrument where the nuance is destroyed by overamplification.
Praise Cheeses!
John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » September 2nd, 2013, 9:00 am

Tom Storer wrote:A related topic to this one is amplification. An acoustic piano, for example, that is being cranked out through mikes and speakers at earsplitting volume to an arena sounds nothing like the same piano in a small club, even if the pianist is delicately tickling the keys. Is there really a difference, in terms of the listener's experience, between an overamplified acoustic instrument and an electric one? Or rather, is the difference not potentially reversed? Personally I would rather hear an electric instrument at a soft volume level, capturing nuances of attack and dynamics, than an acoustic instrument where the nuance is destroyed by overamplification.

Maybe we can all take the test of listening to both acoustic and electronic instruments at earsplitting volume to determine if there is a difference, or if we prefer one to the other. ;)
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 2nd, 2013, 10:31 pm

I think we should, in the interests of science. :D
Praise Cheeses!

Return to “Jazztalk Central”