formulas in jazz

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
pig pen
Founding Member

formulas in jazz

Postby pig pen » August 21st, 2013, 4:07 am

"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Re: formulas in jazz

Postby moldyfigg » August 21st, 2013, 10:07 am

The one formula that never dies is the Basie ending.
Bright moments
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » August 21st, 2013, 12:29 pm

Like Barry Harris said to me once "you're taking the fun out of it."
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » August 21st, 2013, 1:05 pm

A numerical analysis of music which focuses on how many 5 note formulas, how many 11 note formulas, etc. are used by certain artists is deceptively meaningless. I can think of several reasons why. Here's one (sort of)

The article doesn't clarify whether the same combination of notes in the same order constitutes "a formula" if the they are not held for the same amount of time. For instance, are two uses of the notes ABDBG in that order the "same formula" if in one it is half note, eighth note, quarter note, whole note, eighth note and another it is 5 eighth notes? And even if it is, is it the same formula if in once case the 5 notes begin a measure and in another are split between measures?

In other words, a series of notes that is not aesthetically formulaic can appear formulaic from a numerical analysis. So what that is musically relevant is learned from reading the paper?
randalljazz
Founding Member

Postby randalljazz » August 22nd, 2013, 12:53 am

nothing that any musician doesn't already know. like written language, the "creative" act doesn't (for the most part) invent words, or even phrases, but rather arranges the commonly understood vocabulary in (often, hopefully) fresh and interesting ways, to express "new" ideas or narratives.

^77(f $55GGp)7& &75$3@p?/[ ^78>< (8&*6$j !! *

*if i make up everything, it is not intelligible.
"The person who sees into the future farthest is the person who sees into the past farthest." -- Bill Evans

www.randalljazz.com
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » August 22nd, 2013, 8:45 am

Thanks for posting. Not long I ago, I'd read someone's thesis that, without going through quite so much in terms of quantitative gymastics - set out to prove that the first bebop tenor sax solo was recorded in (something like) 1952 by...Stan Getz. Nothing before that qualified, because it was missing some element of the defintiion of bebop.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 3rd, 2013, 7:32 pm

The last thing I'd want to be formulaic would be anything related to self-expression!

Over and out.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
pig pen
Founding Member

Postby pig pen » September 4th, 2013, 6:03 am

Ron Thorne wrote:The last thing I'd want to be formulaic would be anything related to self-expression!

Over and out.

I agree whole-heartedly, but I think it's important for students of music to think about the issue of "formulas". The article above is a bunch of academic blah blah, but I think if you don't think about your own approach to patterns you can unconsciously have patterns in your playing that can become boring. Obviously experienced pros have handle on this, but for students who are left to their own devices where improv is concerned I think it's a concern. I was recently playing with a group where we practiced a lot of "scribbling" (play as fast and freely as possible without concern for technique) to try to get away from playing patterns and I noticed that in most cases each of us had a pattern to our scribbling. I had to start consciously getting away from playing the same way, which is contrary to the exercise, but I think it was a breakthrough for me. I have my own pet phrases that pop up when I'm playing without thinking and in becoming conscious of them I am actually getting further from over-using them. I know some players who try to defeat the pattern playing by learning thousands of patterns (playing through 12 keys etc) so that there is never just one pattern at their fingertips. I'm just a hack player so maybe my experiences are just those of a mediocre player trying to find his way, but I do find this to be an interesting topic.
"If humans used their tongues for cleaning themselves rather than talking, the world would be a much better place." - Henri, Le Chat Noir
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 5th, 2013, 5:05 am

Ron Thorne wrote:The last thing I'd want to be formulaic would be anything related to self-expression!

Over and out.

The 32 bar standard song form AABA or AB and 12 bar blues are formulas.

There is lot's of self expression within these frames.
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » September 5th, 2013, 8:21 am

A. Kingstone wrote:

Over and out.

The 32 bar standard song form AABA or AB and 12 bar blues are formulas.

There is lot's of self expression within these frames.

Sure, lots of formulas: a major scale, all of harmony, rhythm.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 5th, 2013, 8:46 am

That vibrations produce sound and therefor music is also a formula. Not all formulas are bad or all that limiting.

I'm drinking Vodka and baby formula right now (known in alcoholic circles as a White Malyshka).
BeBop
Founding Member

Postby BeBop » September 5th, 2013, 9:21 am

steve(thelil) wrote:That vibrations produce sound and therefor music is also a formula. Not all formulas are bad or all that limiting.

I'm drinking Vodka and baby formula right now (known in alcoholic circles as a White Malyshka).

Exactly. I don't want to hear some cat blowing endless scales (even "blues scales"), or something he got out of a textbook. But, on the other hand, there are some great songs (albeit many of them now overplayed) built on, essentially, formulas (e.g., Giant Steps, or anything built on cycles of fourths)
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 5th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I'm afraid that I didn't express myself very clearly in post #7.

What I tried to convey was a sense of the antithesis of jazz expression, spontaneity and improvisation ... predictability, sameness, etc.

Of course I realize that there are some "formulas" in music. I'm a longtime musician and music instructor. ;)
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 5th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:I'm afraid that I didn't express myself very clearly in post #7.

What I tried to convey was a sense of the antithesis of jazz expression, spontaneity and improvisation ... predictability, sameness, etc.

Of course I realize that there are some "formulas" in music. I'm a longtime musician and music instructor. ;)

I didn't at all mean to be critical, Ron. I saw a joke opening, I jumped in. I have little control over that :silly:
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 5th, 2013, 2:45 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:
I didn't at all mean to be critical, Ron. I saw a joke opening, I jumped in. I have little control over that :silly:

No problem. I felt a need to clarify my statement.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 5th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Ron Thorne wrote:I'm afraid that I didn't express myself very clearly in post #7.

Phew. I thought you were gonna say we all play free and ignore what came before us. Next thing you know thelil has his pants off and is playing with open tunings.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 5th, 2013, 3:51 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:
Phew. I thought you were gonna say we all play free and ignore what came before us. Next thing you know thelil has his pants off and is playing with open tunings.

I'm halfway there now.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 5th, 2013, 3:53 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:

I'm three quarters of the way there now.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 5th, 2013, 4:23 pm

steve(thelil) wrote:
A. Kingstone wrote:

I'm three quarters of the way there now.

I hope you mean you've de-tuned some strings.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 5th, 2013, 4:41 pm

A. Kingstone wrote:
I hope you mean you've de-tuned some strings.

Yep. They represent one quarter.
A. Kingstone
Founding Member

Postby A. Kingstone » September 5th, 2013, 5:00 pm

John L
Founding Member

Postby John L » September 6th, 2013, 5:58 am

Actually, the paper looks interesting, and may have some real value. The problem is that they really oversell the results for the reasons cited above. You could do the same thing with rhythmic patterns, for example, which are certainly no less important in jazz than sequences of notes.
sozamora
Founding Member

Postby sozamora » September 6th, 2013, 8:11 am

I'm just a programmer, so I'll put it in terms I understand.

if (!it.Properties.Contains(ThatSwing))
{
it.Meaning = null;
}
bluenoter
Concierge

Postby bluenoter » September 6th, 2013, 9:12 am

sozamora wrote:I'm just a programmer, so I'll put it in terms I understand.

if (!it.Properties.Contains(ThatSwing))
{
it.Meaning = null;
}
else printf("Doo-wah doo-wah, doo-wah doo-wah, doo-wah doo-wah, doo-wah doo-wah");

(I'm doing my best. All I learned was PL/1 in about 1970.)
Image           Image     
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 6th, 2013, 11:29 am

idonotdetectanyswinginyourdoo-wahbluenoter :boring:

Return to “Jazztalk Central”