Convince me otherwise please?

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
peterdubya
Founding Member

Re: Convince me otherwise please?

Postby peterdubya » August 3rd, 2013, 11:34 am

Scott: yeah, I do expect, and and in fact I sort of like it....

I don't really care what kind of people they are, if I don't have to deal with them....

sort of......

As for the playing in the dark in Italy, I mean, it was a little extreme.... and at the same time... he told them not to take photos, and the continued to do so....
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » August 5th, 2013, 8:37 am

A. Kingstone wrote:
Gentle Giant wrote:My problem with Jarrett is that he seems like a complete asshole. But as long as he's playing, I'm listening.

How many musicians (or entertainers) could we say that about?

Valid point, as is the comment about James Carter above.
mjb
Founding Member

Postby mjb » August 5th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Gentle Giant wrote:My problem with Jarrett is that he seems like a complete asshole. But as long as he's playing, I'm listening.

I saw him in The Standards Trio a few years back at The Four Seasons Centre for The Performing Arts in Toronto. Some of the best acoustics ever.

After playing for about an hour he asked the audience if the piano was out of tune. There was a little discussion and demonstrations and most of it was quite pleasant.

After a while he said "Why am I asking you anyway ... what do you know." The audience reacted with amusement. "Ok," he said, "I'll get this fixed and be back. We rather thought the evening was over.

After about 20 minutes the MC came out and advised that "Mr. Jarrett has been provided with a new piano and we may resume.

The Trio came out and he said "Told you." They then played a majestic set for over an hour - and then we were favoured with 3 encores. One of my bet ever jazz experiences.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 6th, 2013, 12:07 pm

You know something that's always left me cold? Bass solos! Is it just me? And trust me, I'm aware of the greatness of the instrument and equally aware of the legion of extraordinary musicians throughout the history of music that are bass players. But man, when a bass solo starts, acoustic or electric, regardless of music genre, 95% of the time I'm just waiting for it to end. Of course I've heard, and own, so many great bass solos but.... :boring:
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » August 6th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Chazro wrote:You know something that's always left me cold? Bass solos! Is it just me? And trust me, I'm aware of the greatness of the instrument and equally aware of the legion of extraordinary musicians throughout the history of music that are bass players. But man, when a bass solo starts, acoustic or electric, regardless of music genre, 95% of the time I'm just waiting for it to end. Of course I've heard, and own, so many great bass solos but.... :boring:

There a a bunch of jokes regarding bass solos....like the one about the couple who has very little time in their busy schedule to talk to one another, but when they were at a show were able to catch up during the bass solos when everyone else in the crowd began to talk also.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 6th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Chazro wrote:You know something that's always left me cold? Bass solos! Is it just me? And trust me, I'm aware of the greatness of the instrument and equally aware of the legion of extraordinary musicians throughout the history of music that are bass players. But man, when a bass solo starts, acoustic or electric, regardless of music genre, 95% of the time I'm just waiting for it to end. Of course I've heard, and own, so many great bass solos but.... :boring:

Chazro, are you equally bored with arco (bowed) solos, or mostly pizzicato ones? I'm curious. Arco solos are much less frequent but have a much different sound and feel.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 7th, 2013, 12:19 pm

I own a few recordings featuring bass solos going 'arco', I'm pretty sure I've even seen a few live. The fact that I'm not positive is telling. Going 'arco' adds a sonic texture and depth, shows skill and daring....but it's still a bass solo!!;) I'lltellyawhat, a primary peeve about bass solos is they're often waaay too long! It's as if the poor bass player doesn't get to solo as often as everyone else and just goes on and on....and if it's the bass player's record and he decides to solo on every tune....fuhgedaboudit!;) A prime example of this would be Ron Carter. I probably own close to a 100 records that have RC playing bass, a master, a legend, incredible tone & time, I could go on and on as I have nothing but love and respect for this artist. But when the brother starts to solo my eyes just start to glaze over! :zzz:
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 7th, 2013, 12:41 pm

I understand where you're coming from, Chazro. I feel that way about virtually every instrumentalist, frankly. Too much of a good thing is ... too much.

As a drummer, you may think that I would love drum solos. Nope. They usually leave me cold ... or worse. I don't particularly enjoy playing them, and seldom enjoy hearing them from others. Of course, there are exceptions. ;)

Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » August 8th, 2013, 1:08 pm

You see, it's all purely subjective. While I'd wholeheartedly agree that ANY musician can play too much, I'd have to admit to cutting (some, not all) drummers a little more slack!;) Just last night I was listening to one of my favorite duet records; Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez & Giovanni Hidalgo's 'Traveling Through Time'. Originally an instructional video, they do a number and then discuss/break it down. The performances are so musical and solid that a CD was released with just the performances. As much as I love this record, it's easy for me to see how it could be perceived as being 'too much'. Just as I have this personal 'bias' towards bass solos, I know there are music-lovers out there that out and out can't/won't listen to percussion-heavy music.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 8th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Of course, "it's all purely subjective", Chazro. That's why it's tough to get agreement sometimes on such matters.

I hope and trust that you realized that the two drumming examples I posted were among the exceptions I mentioned. There are others of course, but one of the most interesting, understated and musical jazz drummers is in the top video, Alan Dawson, who was my instructor many moons ago. He also taught a kid named Tony Williams and a few other monsters, too. ;)

I also love Horacio 'El Negro' Hernandez! He's a musical killer!!
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » August 9th, 2013, 5:50 am

When it comes to solos, I usually consider whether what I'm seeing is primarily athletic or musical. Speed and dexterity are impressive and fun to watch but at some point I still want to hear melodic ideas more than see gymnastic feats. My favorite players, on any instrument, can craft a solo that is musically exciting while at the same time leaving you scratching your head as to how they accomplished it.
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » August 13th, 2013, 9:36 am

It took me a while to appreciate Turner but I'm a big fan now. His music has a certain ascetic quality that I'm not always in the mood for, but one thing I like is that he's pretty much devoid of cliché.

I saw him last year with Avishai Cohen (the trumpeter), can't recall the bassist, Marcus Gilmore. I saw that they have an album coming out.
Praise Cheeses!
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » August 13th, 2013, 9:50 am

Steve Coleman's music leaves me cold. I love his saxophone playing. He has a sound that I love. But something about his music strikes me as static and stiff. Rhythmically I hear it as tense but lacking drama or development. I know there is much about it that probably goes over my head, but that's how it strikes me. I have seen him live many times because he continues to intrigue me, but I'm always left frustrated.
Praise Cheeses!
moldyfigg
Founding Member

Postby moldyfigg » August 13th, 2013, 11:05 am

Last night my daughter-in-law told me that she likes Pat Metheny.

She is out of the will.
Bright moments
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » August 13th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Tom Storer wrote:Steve Coleman's music leaves me cold. I love his saxophone playing. He has a sound that I love. But something about his music strikes me as static and stiff. Rhythmically I hear it as tense but lacking drama or development. I know there is much about it that probably goes over my head, but that's how it strikes me. I have seen him live many times because he continues to intrigue me, but I'm always left frustrated.

I'm the complete opposite.....LOVE LOVE LOVE 5 Elements....have for years!!

Finally saw them 2 years ago at Monterey Jazz Festival by far my favorite act I saw there!
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » August 15th, 2013, 12:27 pm

I don't know why when it's all said & done , Oscar Peterson doesn't make it for some; not I.

Over the years have heard terms like cold applied to his playing.
OP, in unapologetic fashion recognized his influences and came out of a 'school' as so many others did, and played his ass off for 50 years in the style and methods he chose to dedicate his long, respected career.

Paul Chambers, bass
Jimmy Cobb, drums
Germany 1960

Let the bickering begin :devil:

Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Postby Steve Reynolds » August 15th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Horace Silver is one guy I can't get with. I like a few of his tunes but as a pianist, I'm left a bit cold. I've been playing a nice Hank Mobley quintet blue note date from 1957 or so and his playing comes across as rote and cliched. For pianists who play in the hard bop style, I MUCH prefer Sonny Clark, Carl Perkins or Wynton Kelly.
stonemonkts
Founding Member

Postby stonemonkts » August 15th, 2013, 5:29 pm

I can listen to Kowald play his bass solo all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aluSEsE765E
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » August 15th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Steve, I think this very sparse trio recording of Horace Silver from 1952 might appeal to you.

Does it?

Return to “Jazztalk Central”