Jazz in NYC

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Steve Reynolds
Founding Member

Re: Jazz in NYC

Postby Steve Reynolds » September 10th, 2014, 6:09 pm

I also saw you considered Ches Smith's These Arches on the 1st. If I can swing it, I'll be there with bells on as this band includes some of the best improvisors/musicians and bandleaders working today with Tony Malaby, Tim Berne, Mary Halvorsen and Andrea Parkins.

Plus if you like up close and personal, The Stone is an incredible experience to see musicians of this ability. I was there last night and although I see a few shows a month as I'm somewhat close as I live in NJ, there is still something very special and it was last night for the great Evan Parker and guest musicians - so it is much more intense and personal than even a decent seat at one if the big clubs.

Plus, IMO, they kick it to a higher more intense level than the more mainstream dudes. But as we know, I once was a preacherman in a past life.
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 10th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Steve Reynolds wrote:
Plus if you like up close and personal, The Stone is an incredible experience to see musicians of this ability. I was there last night ...

Steve, how about a review of last night's Evan Parker & friends show at The STONE in the Live Music Reviews forum?

Thanks, preacherman!
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
rawac
Founding Member

Postby rawac » September 11th, 2014, 12:06 am

Thank you all for your answers.

Steve Reynolds wrote:Still time to change your mind for October 4th:

Cornelia Street Cafe: 9:00 & 10:30 sets

Band is called Capricorn Climber

I have been to Cornelia Street Cafe on my last trip to NYC. Tom Beckham, the audience was:
  • the girl friends of the musicians
  • the waitress
  • and i
:D
but the made the gig with full commitment, was a nice evening.

This time i will go to the Dizzys, because i will be accompanied by a relative that night. She is not so much into jazz, but wants to see the Lincoln Center.

Steve Reynolds wrote:I also saw you considered Ches Smith's These Arches on the 1st. If I can swing it, I'll be there with bells on as this band includes some of the best improvisors/musicians and bandleaders working today with Tony Malaby, Tim Berne, Mary Halvorsen and Andrea Parkins. ...

I don't know much about Ches Smith. The only record i own with him is Secret Chiefs 3: Xaphan: Book of Angels Volume 9. The Stone only sells tickets on the door, just before the event. So i will see, how my physical condition will be on Wednesday. The Concert on the Jazz Stand will end around 9:00 (+/-). It should be possible to get to the stone before 10 (4 or 6 from 28th to Bleeker). But NYC is somehow "exhausting", the point will come, where my feet conk out.
Best wishes from the south-west corner of Germany

Ralf
bluenoter
Concierge

The Sound It Out series at Greenwich House Music School

Postby bluenoter » September 25th, 2014, 6:08 am

rawac
Founding Member

Postby rawac » October 10th, 2014, 2:59 am

A short feedback from one week Jazz in Manhattan, New York

• Tuesday: Jon Davis Trio and Randy Ingram Quartet at Smalls

Smalls was great and Smalls is always great. A good Balvanie and Jon Davis were excellent, but after the flight i was too tired for the later sets from Randy Ingram.

• Wednesday: Terence Blanchard Quintet at Jazz Standard
    then: Ches Smith and These Arches at The Stone

That was >a difference<. The performance of Terence Blanchard was more jazz as his Sony or Blue Note recordings.
How the hell should a stranger find The Stone? I was standing 4 feet of the door and didn't find it! A little bit larger sign or something about jazz in the window would be very helpful. These Arches was hard and heavy. Especial between Tim Berne and Tony Malab, that was hot. Mary Halvorson is not known in Europe, she should come over, really!

• Thursday: Kurt Elling at Birdland

Was as expected. A bit of jazz, a bit of >schmaltzy< and a good part of entertainment. No >You must go there<, but a good rest after a day of New York sightseeing.

• Friday: Chick Corea at Blue Note
    then: Ravi Coltrane at the Village Vanguard

Yes, that was a night. Chick played with The Vigil, young men and he is the Master. Special guest, not announced before, was Gonzalo Rubalcaba. Wonderful quarter of an hour improvisation for four hands. Blue note was awfully crowded, worse than cramped, evil.
    Without reservation only a seat back at the rear wall in the Village Vanguard. Ravi Coltrane was in a good mood, so the audience was too.

• Saturday: Joe Lovano, Stefon Harris and Matt Wilson at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola

The view alone, we went there on evening, still daylight and while we were eating (good to very good) the sun went down, the lights on east side went on, great experience. And Mary Halverson was there too! the older guys didn't want to show any weakness, so we got a lot of powerful solos.

• Sunday: afternoon Manhattan (School of Music) Jazz Quintet at Riverside Park (fall overlook concerts series)
      then: Marianne Solivan and Dayna Stephens and later Joe Magnarelli at Smalls

Misunderstanding: Gothamjazz.com wrote >Manhattan Jazz Quintet< and forgot the >School of Music<. But the school boys did well, and its always nice to hear new players. Weather was very fine, sunny, not too windy, we had a good place on a park bench. Children playing, bikers riding, ambulances getting into the music, ...
    Marianne Solivan is >a lot< of singer. Dayna Stephens, very fine saxophone, a have to look for some of his records.
    Johnny O'Neal was announced, but did not com. Joe Magnarelli was the alternate. I have never heard of him before. But Smalls is aways great ...

Thanks again for all the good hints.
    Best wishes from the south-west corner of Germany

Ralf
    bluenoter
    Concierge

Postby bluenoter » December 8th, 2014, 3:29 pm

http://jazzmuseuminharlem.org/

46 West 116th Street
    New York, NY 10026

Four leading music critics converge to discuss The Year in Jazz in this critics' roundtable, hosted
    and moderated by Nate Chinen, music critic for The New York Times. The panel represents a
    range of perspectives and publications such as The New York Times, JazzTimes, and The Village
    Voice. This year's panel includes Francis Davis, Brad Farberman, and Gene Seymour, who will
    talk about the music, the artists, and the moments that shaped jazz in 2014.

The discussion will be followed by a reception and live music from the legendary saxophonist/
    tuba player Howard Johnson and his trio.
    bluenoter
    Concierge

Postby bluenoter » April 28th, 2015, 7:44 pm

In JT's Gigs forum:
    bluenoter wrote:
    Canceled: Ben Goldberg shows @ the Stone | 4/28–5/3, 2015

http://www.thestonenyc.com/calendar.php

The first sentence of that notice but (so far) no further information is posted on Ben Goldberg's website.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”