Tony Williams question

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BlueMonk
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tony Williams question

Postby BlueMonk » August 4th, 2018, 11:46 am

I've noticed Tony appears on a few of the "great musicians who couldn't read music" lists and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm if it's true he didn't read.

I'm a bit skeptical. Not because Tony was such a great player; the list of great musicians who don't read is long. It has more to do with Tony's education. Tony studied with Alan Dawson at an early age and and then went on to study composition and theory extensively later in his life. If Alan didn't teach Tony to read (our own Ron Thorne could speak to Alan's curriculum, of course!), I would have expected it to be an element of the composition course.

Just wondering if anyone knows the truth?
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Tony Williams question

Postby Ron Thorne » August 5th, 2018, 3:59 pm

"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
BlueMonk

Postby BlueMonk » August 13th, 2018, 10:56 am

Thanks, Ron! I knew you would have some insight.

I recently came across this interview with Tony. http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-06/ ... y-williams

I had read it before, but this time I paid close attention to his comments about learning composition. I think this convincingly supports the idea that Tony could read and write music. Here's an excerpt for example:

As a result of his studies, Williams has acquired the facility he lacked a decade ago. "I'm able to put notes on paper quickly, analyze and manipulate the material better," said the man who has composed all of the modern, mainstream songs for his four latest Blue Note albums, including the most recent, "Native Heart." "I can get an idea and then develop it into something more, expand it. I can look at other's people's material and understand why it sounds the way it sounds, which helps me learn."
harmony5219
Founding Member

Postby harmony5219 » December 24th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Whether Mr. Williams could read music or not is immaterial. He was a world-class musician.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”