Snarky Puppy!

Talk about Jazz and stuff...
Chazro
Founding Member

Snarky Puppy!

Postby Chazro » September 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm

My favorite discovery of 2013 has been Snarky Puppy! Their last record; 'Ground Up' is a smoka, very impressive! Since I got that I've been workin' my way backwards, cherry-pickin' thru their catalog via iTunes. Buncha college music majors hook up with a few church musicians who also play back-up to major pros on tour, stir, mix, & pour! Primarily (99%) instrumental, I won't go so far as to call it Jazz, don't wanna upset anybody!;) Let's just call it good music. Don't think there's a grey hair to be found in the band, youthful exuberance at it's best. These guys tour ol' school style, in a van/bus when in the states, and they tour ALL the time, here and abroad. I just dig that ol' school work ethic! They self release their music and it's always recorded live, no overdubs. They release DVD's of their recordings, many of the video's available via Youtube come from the DVD's. They do something that I've yet to experience live, they record in the round, surrounding an audience sitting in the center, and most if not all of that audience are wearing headphones. It must be an incredible visceral experience that I hope to check out someday. Today they've released a video from upcoming DVD/CD featuring singers. I've listened to it a few times but admittedly, I'm a fan. Chk it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... sGHkUeTc_w

Here's another from 'Ground Up'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBlRkF0 ... detailpage
Coda
Founding Member

Re: Snarky Puppy!

Postby Coda » September 2nd, 2013, 2:26 pm

This snark puppy? Are you the guy who lives in Brazil and play the drums? If yes, I just love love love your music.
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 2nd, 2013, 4:37 pm

Just listened to a bunch of their tracks on Spotify. I really like what I heard. Some of it reminds me of what it would sound like if a fantastically talented large marching band had songs written and arranged for them by an excellent fusion composer. I read up on them a bit and learned they are "a collective" with up to 30 people playing in parts. I also like how they segue between very different instrument combinations in different parts of a song without it sounding forced or formulaic.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 3rd, 2013, 11:52 am

Coda wrote:Image

This snark puppy? Are you the guy who lives in Brazil and play the drums? If yes, I just love love love your music.

You talkin' to me!?;) If you are I'm sorry brother, I'm a NYrican living in Florida! Glad to see some of you guys gettin' nipped by the Puppy!

Here's another vocal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... RdeFaLubdw
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 3rd, 2013, 8:51 pm

Scott Dolan wrote:It's odd, because much of their stuff is borderline Smooth Jazz, which I really have no ear for anymore. But there's just something about what they're doing, and the infectious happiness they exude that really hit me at the perfect time.

Isn't it odd? You say borderline Smooth (which I also skeeve!) and I say borderline Fusion! Ain't it weird that these 2 labels have always straddled this weird 'gray' area over the years!? I guess it's a potayto/potahto thing!

I'm living in West Palm Beach. Lived here for 10, than moved to Georgia for 10, but I've been back here for the last 5. I don't have a great love in my heart for Fl., like I do for PR & NY, but this is where the majority of the family is so......

Scott, bro.....you locked that crazy-ass thread in the alley just when I was about to cue the music :devil: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E00BPNKu ... detailpage
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Postby Ron Thorne » September 3rd, 2013, 9:00 pm

Chazro wrote:
Scott Dolan wrote:It's odd, because much of their stuff is borderline Smooth Jazz, which I really have no ear for anymore. But there's just something about what they're doing, and the infectious happiness they exude that really hit me at the perfect time.

Isn't it odd? You say borderline Smooth (which I also skeeve!) and I say borderline Fusion! Ain't it weird that these 2 labels have always straddled this weird 'gray' area over the years!? I guess it's a potayto/potahto thing!

I'm living in West Palm Beach. Lived here for 10, than moved to Georgia for 10, but I've been back here for the last 5. I don't have a great love in my heart for Fl., like I do for PR & NY, but this is where the majority of the family is so......

Scott, bro.....you locked that crazy-ass thread in the alley just when I was about to cue the music :devil: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E00BPNKu ... detailpage

Scott didn't lock that "crazy-ass thread in the alley", I did. Enough, already. Sorry, Chazro.

I loved our time in West Palm, where I began school in 1948. Don't think I'd dig it so much now, though.
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Tom Storer
Éminence Grise

Postby Tom Storer » September 4th, 2013, 3:06 am

The first YouTube with the vocalist doesn't do it for me, but the rest of it is real easy on the ears. In addition to fusion drums and keyboard sounds, I hear aspects of early 70's dance-band funk, like Kool and the Gang's first, mostly instrumental album (cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool_and_the_Gang_(album) ). Mostly in that real comfortable, open funky feel with nice big riffs. And it's clear that they are enjoying that energy. They must be a kick to see live.

Touring constantly since 2005, a big cast of characters... that's what builds success these days. Good on 'em.
Praise Cheeses!
steve(thelil)
Founding Member

Postby steve(thelil) » September 4th, 2013, 6:32 am

Scott Dolan wrote:Agreed.

The east coast of Florida has turned into a huge clusterfuck.

Some folks dig it, but not this boy.

But, in all honesty, the Gulf Coast is getting to be almost as bad.

I agree about the Naples and Sarasota areas. I feel quite differently about St Pete, St Pete Beach, Gulfport and Dunedin, where I've spent a lot of time in the last 5 years. To me they feel nothing like the East Coast of Florida. On the other hand if I lived there full time, I might feel very differently.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 4th, 2013, 8:40 am

Re: Fl.

Whoa, east coast sux, west coast sux, gulf coast sux, clusterfuck, disaster! My biggest complaints are the heat, the generally boring geography of the state, I miss the change of seasons, and, believe it or not this is huge for me, the fact that being this huge peninsula, it's a burden for musical acts to come here. The live music scene sux!

I was gonna make a wise-ass quip about what possibly could've happened to you down here to elicit such a passionate hatred for the place, but than thought twice! :smug:
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 9th, 2013, 11:59 am

Some more good times & good vibes from Snarky Puppy's upcoming release; 'Family Dinner'!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFkRtjrrM5k
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 16th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Here's the latest from Snarky Puppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d2zOrebuwM

Here's a brief intro to this latest project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 92vUDmp5W8
and here's one more, just because!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1cskIan5Jw
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » September 23rd, 2013, 1:52 pm

OK, this latest weekly treat from the band is a stunner! Featuring the amazing Lalah Hathaway, who surely is making her Daddy SO proud! She performs one of the best SCAT solos I've ever heard, and check out just past the 6:00 minute mark where she does something I've never ever heard before which is hitting 3 notes simultaneously (that means at the same time!;). Check out the reactions from the spectators AND the band who obviously can't believe what they've just heard! This record is FINALLY being released this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SJIgTLe0hc
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » September 30th, 2013, 9:39 am

Snarky Puppy were very well received at Monterey Jazz Festival recently
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » October 2nd, 2013, 5:44 am

Passed up a chance to see them in Boston last weekend.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » October 2nd, 2013, 7:32 pm

Chazro wrote:OK, this latest weekly treat from the band is a stunner! Featuring the amazing Lalah Hathaway, who surely is making her Daddy SO proud! She performs one of the best SCAT solos I've ever heard, and check out just past the 6:00 minute mark where she does something I've never ever heard before which is hitting 3 notes simultaneously (that means at the same time!;). Check out the reactions from the spectators AND the band who obviously can't believe what they've just heard! This record is FINALLY being released this week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SJIgTLe0hc

unfortunately, Lalah doesn't make all their gigs and wasn't in Monterey.
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » October 3rd, 2013, 12:39 pm

Wazzup Mike, Miss Valerie! Were you guys there? If so, I'd be interested to hear what you saw & heard! Even if you don't care for their music, I'd be curious about the audience reaction. Currently they're doing sold-out gigs in Europe, these guys are ALWAYS workin'!
walto
Founding Member

Postby walto » October 7th, 2013, 9:47 am

I like Shaun Martin. He's today's Jan Hammer.
Surely not all of a sudden. Less than half of a sudden at best.
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » October 16th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Chazro wrote:Wazzup Mike, Miss Valerie! Were you guys there? If so, I'd be interested to hear what you saw & heard! Even if you don't care for their music, I'd be curious about the audience reaction. Currently they're doing sold-out gigs in Europe, these guys are ALWAYS workin'!

I missed your question Chazro...sorry.

I only attended one day of the festival and did not see that group, which was highly recommended.
ValerieB
Founding Member

Postby ValerieB » October 16th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Mike Schwartz wrote:
Chazro wrote:Wazzup Mike, Miss Valerie! Were you guys there? If so, I'd be interested to hear what you saw & heard! Even if you don't care for their music, I'd be curious about the audience reaction. Currently they're doing sold-out gigs in Europe, these guys are ALWAYS workin'!

sorry, Chazro. I only heard a small portion of their set. it was packed. their enthusiasm was contagious though. a really fun, youthful band.
Jimmy Cantiello
Founding Member

Postby Jimmy Cantiello » October 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm

I've been listening to these kids for the last few days. Gotta admit, I'm totally impressed with the ever changing ensemble of very competent musicians. This group of young people have a great mix of everything one could ever want...horns, strings, keyboards, percussion, vocals, all played at a high level, imo. Thanks for the heads-up, Chazro. All I can say is Weeeeepaaaa!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ― Frank Sinatra
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » January 26th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Very happy and excited to congratulate Snarky Puppy & Lalah Hathaway for their Grammy Win for best R&B performance! 8-)
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » January 27th, 2014, 2:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3mCNyUi ... detailpage

Scott, cool to see how you done been bit by the Pup!;) It's been fun to see the tidal wave of congrats they've been receiving on FB and elsewhere. It's curious to see the enthusiasm this band generates in it's fans, they're infectious! The video's gotten over 2 million hits, amazing for a band that's done it COMPLETELY on their own! I don't think you cared fro their latest vocal record (all the vocal videos I posted came from it. As much as I like it I'll admit it's my least favorite of their 8 records). When time permits, you oughtta go to ITunes and chk out tunes from 2 of their records released prior to Ground UP; 'Bring Us The Bright' & 'Tell Your Friends'. Plenty of that Ground Up groove to be found! Or if you like I can burn a CD for you (don't know if you frown on that kinda thing, I know Lois didn't care for it back on JC). It'd be a small way of showing thx for your efforts, just PM me yr address. Lastly, just this past week on the SP record label the 2nd record by the Funky Knuckles - 'Meta Musica' was released. The band has a very Snarky Puppy-ish(!) thing going on, you'd probably dig 'em.

Here's a favorite video showing the band putting their money where their mouth is about music education. Check out these kids; the singer and the gtr player, amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTx7lNr9 ... detailpage
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » February 17th, 2014, 2:12 pm

The Snarky Puppy juggernaut just keeps on rollin' on! Via facebook they posted how yesterday they went to see the Pat Metheny Unity Band and than PM's band went to check them out afterwards. There are posts by folks who saw BOTH bands in one day, I'm too jealous, what an extraordinarily musical day!

AND today the band starts to release their one-a-week videos from their upcoming new CD/DVD; 'We Like It Here'! Which means I'll be droppin' 'em into this thread! The band's success seems to be manifesting itself as they all seem to be wearing headphones from the same manufacturer! Not TOO much though as currently they're touring, and they're still cruising from place to place in their VAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk0WRHV_ ... detailpage

BTW, I never thought when JTalk started that there'd be so little music discussed, am I the only one that's noticed this? I'm sure I'm not. WAZZUP!?
Chazro
Founding Member

Postby Chazro » February 8th, 2015, 4:51 pm

Wow, time flies. Started this thread in 2013! Anyhow, Snarky Puppy continues to reach new heights! While it really doesn't matter to me, as all I care about is being able to buy their music, the fact that they're recording on the Impulse label now seems to be further proof of their continued success. Not to mention it certainly adds to their Jazz street cred!;) This clip is of the 1st of 2 records they intend to release this year, looks to be extraordinary!!

BFrank
Founding Member

Postby BFrank » February 9th, 2015, 12:31 am

They just played at SFJAZZ with Eric Harland. I wanted to go, but it sold out too quickly.

Return to “Jazztalk Central”