Dennis Chambers Is Ill

All the Jazz-related news that's fit for print!
Chazro
Founding Member

Dennis Chambers Is Ill

Postby Chazro » July 20th, 2014, 2:44 pm

I've been reading about this since early this morning. Dennis has been touring with Mike Stern in Europe. He's been hospitalized in Spain. In the past few years Dennis had gotten very big but a recent video I just saw of him backstage with Stern shows him practically looking gaunt. 'Bootsy' Collins (his old boss) wrote on FB, "Dennis Chambers is in intensive care and they're working on getting him off the respirator. They are filtering his liver as it's not functioning well. Renee is there and we are all praying for him". Followed later from Vince Wilburn Jr. fb-Account:
"From Mike Stern's Manager.. Our Brother Dennis Chambers... He is out of ICU awake and His Wife is with Him GREAT NEWS" First good news. And than from Gary Husband: "It looks as if our dear brother Dennis Chambers is OUT of intensive care, conscious and talking with his wife! It has suddenly become a much better day! I'm immensely happy to be able to say this!"

Here's hoping he makes a full recovery. Been a huge fan since the 1st time I saw him with John Scofield during the 80's. Man, Haden, Winter, Garner, it's been a rough week. :(
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

Re: Dennis Chambers Is Ill

Postby Ron Thorne » July 20th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Man, I'm really sorry to learn of Dennis Chambers' health problems.

My wife & I saw him with some friends at Jazz Alley in Seattle about 18 months ago with Mike Stern & Randy Brecker, and he tore it up, as usual. He was HUGE then, so to see some of the shots I just saw of him was unnerving.

Apparently, Dennis suffered a fall earlier this year and was hospitalized, but this is something new.

All best wishes for a speedy, full recovery, Dennis!
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
Gentle Giant
Founding Member

Postby Gentle Giant » July 23rd, 2014, 7:48 am

Ron Thorne wrote:Man, I'm really sorry to learn of Dennis Chambers' health problems.

My wife & I saw him with some friends at Jazz Alley in Seattle about 18 months ago with Mike Stern & Randy Brecker, and he tore it up, as usual. He was HUGE then, so to see some of the shots I just saw of him was unnerving.

Apparently, Dennis suffered a fall earlier this year and was hospitalized, but this is something new.

All best wishes for a speedy, full recovery, Dennis!

Yes, best wishes to a towering talent, now facing a challenge greater than any musical one he's overcome.
hornplayer
Founding Member

Postby hornplayer » July 24th, 2014, 7:00 am

D*mn that's lousy news.

Not a good time for drummers, eh? Butch Miles is waiting for a lung transplant. :(

This is the link I was looking for earlier today.
http://www.austinjazzsociety.org/ButchM ... aiser.html
Life's short, drink well.
Hornplayer
www.feastivals.com/blog

Return to “Jazz News”