Winners of the 2014 DownBeat Critics Poll Announced

All the Jazz-related news that's fit for print!
bluenoter
Concierge

Winners of the 2014 DownBeat Critics Poll Announced

Postby bluenoter » June 25th, 2014, 10:29 am

Excerpts from DownBeat's announcement, which is here:

Salvant Wins Four Categories in DownBeat Critics Poll

Posted 6/23/2014

Singer-songwriter Cécile McLorin Salvant topped four categories in the 62nd Annual DownBeat International Critics Poll, including Jazz Album of the Year. . . .

"The DownBeat Critics Poll once again demonstrates the beauty of this music and tremendous diversity on so many levels," [said Frank Alkyer, DownBeat's publisher.] "It’s not just about the winners. We’ve got 62 categories, with more than 1,200 artists listed in the complete results. This poll is the most in-depth snapshot of jazz you’ll see in 2014."

The DownBeat Critics Poll is divided into categories for established artists and for Rising Stars. In addition to the categories for Jazz, the poll also includes categories for Blues and Beyond. . . .

The complete poll results will be published in the August issue of DownBeat, arriving on newsstands on July 15. . . .
ValerieB
Founding Member

Re: Winners of the 2014 DownBeat Critics Poll Announced

Postby ValerieB » June 25th, 2014, 5:53 pm

I'm happy with lots of the winners, especially Jim Hall,Cecile, Gregory, Wayne (Shorter and Escoffery) and Terri Lyne. :party:
Mike Schwartz
Founding Member

Postby Mike Schwartz » June 25th, 2014, 6:16 pm

ValerieB wrote:I'm happy with lots of the winners, especially Jim Hall,Cecile, Gregory, Wayne (Shorter and Escoffery) and Terri Lyne. :party:

My absolute fave pick is Rising Star male vocalist Ed Reed who is 85........obviously an overnight success!! :D
jtx
Commodore

Postby jtx » June 25th, 2014, 11:29 pm

Mike Schwartz wrote:My absolute fave pick is Rising Star male vocalist Ed Reed who is 85........obviously an overnight success!! :D
I'm wondering if Avishai Cohen (Rising Star-Bass) has ever played with Avishai Cohen (trumpeter, member of Rising Star-Jazz Group 3 Cohens). It seems inevitable. :idea:

Return to “Jazz News”