JazzTimes Premieres Bill Evans Track

All the Jazz-related news that's fit for print!
Ron Thorne
Fadda Timekeeper

JazzTimes Premieres Bill Evans Track

Postby Ron Thorne » March 20th, 2016, 12:35 pm

03/17/16
JT Song Premiere: Bill Evans' "These Foolish Things"
From Resonance Records' forthcoming "Lost Session" release

By JazzTimes

Resonance Records will release Some Other Time: The Lost Session From the Black Forest, a previously unknown and rare studio album by the Bill Evans Trio recorded on June 20, 1968, by German jazz producers Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer and Joachim-Ernst Berendt. The album, which has never before been issued in any form, will be released on April 16 in a special limited-edition hand-numbered two-LP set on Record Store Day, and as a deluxe two-CD set and a digital edition on April 22.

Image Image

Click here to hear "My Foolish Things." It's hosted exclusively on JazzTimes' site.

Bill Evans will also be featured on the cover of the May 2016 issue of JazzTimes.

Resonance has provided the following backstory on the recording:

"On June 20, 1968 at a studio session with Eddie Gomez and Jack DeJohnette at MPS Studios in Villingen, Germany (in the Black Forest), Bill Evans recorded for the first time 'These Foolish Things,' as a duet with Eddie Gomez. Composed by Jack Strachey, with lyrics by Eric Maschwitz, this recording is captured during a time when Bill Evans’s playing was transitioning into a more percussive phase, as he joined forces for a brief six months with drummer Jack DeJohnette. As Marc Myers describes in his essay in the CD booklet, 'The material is an important audio document that sheds light on Evans’s transition from swinging romantic to percussive poet.' His playing featured a 'more robust, confident piano approach with pronounced chord and finger strikes.' Recorded by the great German record producer and engineer, Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer and MPS Studios studio manager Joachim-Ernst Berendt, this unique studio session was recorded just five days after Bill Evans Trio’s award winning performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Discovered by a chance conversation at the JazzAhead conference in Bremen Germany, Producer Zev Feldman learned of these tapes when he met the son of Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer and discovered that family had these unreleased recordings in their archives. Feldman was convinced the world had to hear this music, which represents an under-documented chapter in Bill Evans’s creative journey."

CD TRACK LISTING

Disc One:
1. You Go To My Head (4:58)
2. Very Early (5:12)
3. What Kind of Fool Am I? (5:21)
4. I’ll Remember April (4:08)
5. My Funny Valentine (6:58)
6. Baubles, Bangles & Beads [Duo] (4:38)
7. Turn Out The Stars (4:56)
8. It Could Happen To You (3:58)
9. In A Sentimental Mood (4:18)
10. These Foolish Things (4:14)
11. Some Other Time (5:28)

Disc Two:
1. You’re Gonna Hear From Me (3:32)
2. Walking Up (4:10)
3. Baubles, Bangles & Beads [Trio] (4:51)
4. It’s Alright With Me [Incomplete] (3:45)
5. What Kind Of Fool Am I? (2:51)
6. How About You (3:59)
7. On Green Dolphin Street (4:33)
8. Wonder Why (4:13)
9. Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?) (3:49)
10. You’re Gonna Hear From Me [Alternate Take] (3:24)

Pre-order on iTunes and receive 4 tracks instantly: "You Go To My Head," "It Could Happen To You," "These Foolish Things" and "How About You?"

Jazztalk note:
This recording is also available at other sources, including Resonance Records, a non-profit jazz label.

Source
"Timing is everything" - Peppercorn
http://500px.com/rpthorne
bluenoter
Concierge

Re: JazzTimes Premieres Bill Evans Track

Postby bluenoter » March 20th, 2016, 6:33 pm

JazzTimes wrote:The album, which has never before been issued in any form, will be released on April 16 in a special limited-edition hand-numbered two-LP set on Record Store Day, and as a deluxe two-CD set and a digital edition on April 22.

That's so convoluted that it took me a while to get that this year's Record Store Day is (Saturday) April 16.

Return to “Jazz News”